Friday, June 12, 2015

Cotton & Steel Mini Quilt Swap

Back in February, I saw a new swap announced on Instragram for Cotton & Steel mini quilts.  I am very much a fan of Cotton & Steel and the deadline was way out in June so I quickly signed up.

My assigned recipient of the mini indicated that she liked all of the Cotton & Steel fabrics, loved the color pink, and would be happy with whatever I made her.  That left things pretty wide open for me so I decided to try a new technique that had been on my list to try for while; the no-sew hexie.  I used Modern Handcraft's tutorial to make the mini quilt.  I decided to use 1" on a side hexagons, which are about 2" in diameter.

I totally decided to cheat and not stitch my hexies into shape but instead just glue them onto the paper template.  I used a bit of glue stick to glue the fabric to the hexie pattern (just copy paper I printed and cut myself), then folded the fabric down on each side of the hexie and glued the folded fabric to the template.  Once they were dry I pressed them really well, ripped out the paper, and repressed them back into shape.  Not the most elegant, but it worked pretty well.


Once I had my hexies done I started to audition them on different backgrounds.  I originally was going to use the cream with metallic grid-like pattern Cotton & Steel print, but I decided that there was not enough contrast.

Next, I tried the hexies on some yarn dyed essex linen in black and loved it (I think that essex linen is the best background, such great texture).  Once I placed the hexies on the essex black, I decided to pull the flower print hexies out and add in some hexies made from the cream and metallic print was was originally going to be the background.


I arranged and glued down the hexies on a quilt sandwich, then quilted like Nicole did in her tutorial.


My mini finished up at about 15" x 20".  Now I just need to get the mini labeled and packaged up with some other goodies I have made and bought.  I hope the recipient loves it!  I will be back to post about the mini I receive :)



I am linking up to Link a Finish FridayWhoop Whoop FridayThank Goodness Its Finished FridayFinish It Up FridayFabric Frenzy Fridayand Show Off Saturday @ Sew She Can.


Also, just as a reminder, I just launch the Midnight Mystery Quilt (with an un-mystery quilt option) this month.  Check out this post to learn more and join in!





26 comments:

  1. I just finished a mini with hexies, too! Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yours! I am in that same swap but not in your group - wish I was since I would love to receive this. So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this mini! So cute!! The color choices are great! And that background really makes it pop!
    Do you ave any worry about the edges losing their shape?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you bound it with the fabric you were going to use as the background - very nice touch. This is a beautiful mini quilt and I hope your partner really enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those pink hexies on that background! They just pop. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this. I am also completely hooked on Essex yarn dyed linen (in charcoal, here... which is very similar to black) as a background. It provides SUCH great contrast while also adding texture. The simplicity of both design and color in your mini really resonates with me. I'm trying different methods and styles of quilting, but the simple, solid-esque-heavy quilts with lots of negative space always seem to appeal to me most. Gorgeous finish, and I hope your partner loves it. If she doesn't just let her know she can mail it straight to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Perfect fabric combinations, Cheryl. Your swap partner is going to love this mini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is pretty much perfect, lucky partner :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. while I love your mini, I have avoided getting onto that bandwagon - I also have avoided jumping on board the hexi train. I must admit that I like what you have done with both - good job

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is GORGEOUS, Love the placement of the hexies, LOVE the color contrast, love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pink and purple hexies with the dark background look so pretty! I love that hexie quilt design too, though I haven't made one like it yet. Just another quilt on the someday-I'll-have-time-for-it list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stunning Cheryl - love the pretty hexies on the grey backgroundl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definitely going to have to get some yarn dyed linen......your mini is so gorgeous! I love it Cheryl, and I bet your partner will too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great mini, i love the way you quilted it too. I am sure your partner will love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that is a very cool technique and the quilt looks super, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that. What a great way of doing it! Hand sewing is what has always put me off trying them but this technique I could try! :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful! Cheryl, I really like your method of sewing on the hexies and they look terrific against the grey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your mini! The colours, the design, everything! Wishing that I'd signed up for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your mini quilt! What a neat way to use hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been wanting to make a mini like this forever, you just bumped it up. Your mini is beautiful, Cheryl! The colours look beautiful on that perfect grey background.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this is lovely! I love those colors and this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so fun to make! Love the colors used, perfect background...I just don't think you can go wrong with this hexie method or cotton & steel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Cheryl this is so cool! I have hexie papers from years ago, and have come across them in the drawer a few times, and thought, nope can't do it, but glue?! My new best friend in binding, and maybe now in hexies. Love how yours turned out, and I might have to try this Essex linen I keep hearing about...

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so cute! I'm sure your swap partner will love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the original Cotton + Steel Basics. The bold purple gives this quilt great movement. Thank you for linking up to Show Me Something Purple!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!