Thursday, July 6, 2023

Malted Mystery Quilt ++ Fabric Requirements

Welcome to the official kick off of the Malted Mystery Quilt!!  I am so excited to get started and I hope that you are too!   



Welcome to the official kick off of the Malted Mystery Quilt, the ninth annual Meadow Mist Designs mystery quilt along!

The Malted Mystery Quilt is a free quilt-along that will run from July 2023 through May 2024 to make a throw sized quilt (about 66" x 66") with a set of instructions posted the first Thursday of every month.  The quilt pattern is at an advanced beginner level containing basic piecing techniques (no applique, Y-seams, or paper piecing).

The directions and all of the other information relate dot the mystery quilt can always be found on the Malted Mystery Home Page.   


HOW TO JOIN

This has been my most asked question, how to join in on the Malted Mystery quilt?  There is no official sign up, list, or cost to join in the mystery quilt along.  Each set of instructions will be posted to this blog as a post on the first Thursday of each month.

To ensure you do not miss any of the posts, you can do any of the following:
  • Join the Meadow Mist Designs Newsletter, the newsletter typically is sent out the day after the instructions are posted with a link to that month's instructions.


SHARE YOUR PROGRESS

Facebook: I encourage you to join the Meadow Mist Designs Facebook Group (if you have not already). We now have over 11,000 members in the group and I am so excited for the members to start sharing pictures of their fabric picks. If you want some feedback on possible fabric choices or have any questions during the quilt along, the Facebook group is an excellent resource.

Social Media: Please share your progress pics on social media with the hashtag #MaltedMysteryQuilt and tag me at @MeadowMistDesigns.





We have a dozen generous sponsors donating fabric, thread, patterns, and more as prizes.  You can read all about the sponsors here.





You do not need to purchase a fabric kit to take part in the mystery quilt along, but if you would like to use a fabric kit there are many options.  I put the fabric kit information into its own post (also posting today at the same time today) to keep this post from being too long.  You can find the quilt kits here.




UN-MYSTERY QUILT - SNEAK PEEK OPTION

The sneak peek is now available :)  You can find the un-mystery quilt sneak peek pdf right here: Sneak Peek of Malted Mystery Quilt.  

Remember to please keep the design of the mystery quilt a secret.



EASY TO PRINT INSTRUCTIONS


You can find the easy to print set of this month's instructions right here: 




PATTERN NOTES 
  • Width of fabrics (WOF) for this pattern is assumed to be 40".  
  • A scant ¼" (a thread width smaller than ¼") seam is to be used throughout the construction of the quilt unless otherwise instructed.  


FABRIC REQUIREMENTS



Within the pattern, the following colors will be used within the pattern instructions.






FABRIC SELECTION TIPS
  • It is suggested that a solid or a tone-on-tone print that reads as a solid be used for the background fabric.
  • Due to the finished fabric piece sizes and piecing methods for the quilt top, it is recommended that fabric prints used have a non-directional design.
  • Scraps or multiple fabrics can be used for any of the fabrics, but would be the most successful for Fabrics A-C.  Most of the pieces for these fabrics are less than 5 ½". 
  • To help plan your fabrics for the mystery quilt, be sure that all fabrics that are next to each other have enough contrast between them.






Many thanks to the generous sponsors of the Malted Mystery Quilt!



Any questions? Leave them in a comment below or post them to our Facebook group page. I look forward to seeing everyone's fabric selections. The next set of instructions will be published on the first Thursday of August, the 3rd.







8 comments:

  1. I always appreciate that your mystery quilt alongs don't take a lot of fabric, it allows me to use up those odds and ends that are left from other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered my fabric!! This will be my first quilt a long and I am so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed last year's MQAL. I'm excited for this one. Would fat quarters work in place of yardage for this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to believe it's July and mystery launch time already! So ready to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be interested in using 'scraps' as well. Love your quilts, but I am a scrappy gal.
    For example Fat Quarter of 3 or 4 or 5 darker reds, same with the lighter red, dark blue and lighter blue.

    I understand that yardage requirement would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops, should I have asked that question on the FB page?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mysteries and while I love the red white and blues in this one and have been wanting another quilt in that theme the pink is stopping me. One of two colors I dislike. So I took advantage of the sneak peek. The pattern is beautiful! So now I am trying to recolor to see if I can figure something to replace all of that pink. Or, maybe it wants to be a Fall quilt 😉 🍁 🍂
    Anyway, thank you for the yearly mysteries I do look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your site and looking forward to joining the fun. Thanks for offering the sneak-peak option…I’ve done mysteries in the past but have never loved them totally when I completed them. Thanks for offering this free MQAL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!