Thursday, September 7, 2017

Magnolia Mystery Quilt ++ HST Instructions


Welcome to the September Instructions for the Magnolia Mystery Quilt, we are starting to piece our quilt top!

You can find all of the Magnolia Mystery Quilt information and posts can be found here. We are just getting started so please join us!

Now that the Magnolia Mystery Quilt Along has been completed, you can get the instructions as part of the instruction blog posts or you can go to Etsy for a full set of easy to print pdf instructions for sale:


The Magnolia Mystery Quilt contains instructions for both Lap and Queen sizes which are both included in this post:



Half Square Triangle Units




Combine the following fabric squares to form half square triangle units (HST units) using the method outlined below:

LAP SIZE
36 Fabric A squares (3” x 3”) and 36 Fabric D squares (3” x 3”) to make 72 HST units (2 ½” x 2 ½”).

QUEEN SIZE 
36 Fabric A squares (4” x 4”) and 36 Fabric D squares (4” x 4”) to make 72 HST units (3 ½” x 3 ½”).

     1. Place the Fabric A and D squares right sides together. Draw a diagonal line using a removable marking device on the back of the lighter square (shown as the solid line).

     2. Sew a ¼” seam on either side of the solid line (shown as the dotted lines). Cut on the solid line and press seams open or toward the darker fabric.

     3. Trim each HST unit to 2 ½” x 2 ½” (lap), 3 1/2” x 3 1/2” (queen).

     4. Repeat to make a total of 72 HST units.




Do you love or loath making half square triangles?  Any tips for making them more accurate or quicker to share?  I love to oversize my HST and then trim using my Bloc-Loc ruler.  I find this makes the most accurate HSTs for me.



Many thanks to our generous sponsors!





14 comments:

  1. I'm ready to get started. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I am excited to have a simple assignment this month! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like sewing the strips in a tube and use the tube method for my hst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of this method before this. This is even easier than the strip method I posted below! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I like to use the strip method, because it's easier to sew a larger piece of fabric rather than tiny squares. You grid your strip, sew, and cut the long strip after. So much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like making HSTs. My preferred method is cutting strips and using the Easy Angle--no trimming after pressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite, too. That's why I don't do all my cutting ahead of time. Wait and see what I'm going to need and cut according to my favorite method.

      Delete
  6. I love HSTs! They are perfect for chain piecing. I'm excited to get started sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love HSTs! But loathe trimming them. I have Bloc Loc rulers, but still hate the trimming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloc Loc rulers are the best thing since sliced bread! They take all the uncertainty out of trimming to size. Expensive, but worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Jay- bloc-loc rulers changed my quilting. I used to avoid patterns with lots of Hst's- which are a lot of patterns!! But now with my trusty ruler I love that my squares are exact! A rotating mat also makes the task easier

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for something I'm pretty confident I can do! I'm a relatively new quilter and this is my first mystery quilt so I'm excited to see something that I've done before even if I need some practice on HST.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to sew 2 squares right sides together all the way around the 4 edges then cut corner to corner twice (like an X). You get 4 HST's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to getting started.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!