Saturday, June 13, 2015

2015 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop - Tip


I have a little tip with regards to domain names is in the form of a little (okay a bit long) story ...

Many people have some not so nice things to say about blogger and most things said are true; blogger does not play well with other blogging platforms like wordpress causing no-reply bloggers, it is not very versatile with layouts and plug-ins, you do not own your content (blogger could shut your blog down tomorrow if they felt like it).  However, all that being said, blogger actually has some very decent points.  It is free and super easy, no crazy html or coding.  If you can handle Microsoft Word, you can blog through blogger.  These were the reasons I decided to start my blog through blogger.

I have been very happy with blogger and am not playing on migrating my blog anytime soon.  I always figured that if and when I decided to move over to a self hosted site, I would simply buy my domain name from one of the domain name sellers, hire some help, and move my blog over.

Just for fun a few weeks ago, I looked up MeadowMistDesigns.com on GoDaddy.com as I do once a year and expected to see the familiar $12 for the first year message as I have every other time.  But this time was different, it told me that my domain name was taken and that I could select from a number of alternatives.  I was so confused, why would anyone have purchased my domain name?

I did a little investigation and some site that just bumps you over to local advertisements had purchased the name.  They had the domain name up for auction for a minimum bid of $515 or a purchase of $800.  Even though I would probably never use it, it really kind of irks me that someone else now holds my domain name.  I guess that I am staying with my .blogspot.com address for while...

So the moral of my little story is to consider buying your domain name when your blog is just starting out so it is ready and available to you should you ever need it (and no weird internet troll buys it and holds it ransom).

Terri Ann of Childlike Fascination was super helpful taking information about the domain owner for me and planning next steps such as purchasing the .net version and a few other alternatives, thanks Terri Ann!






18 comments:

  1. Ugh! Sorry this happened to you. I've been a bit skittish about the whole thing, feeling like I should buy my domain even if I just sit on it...maybe I will now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Cheryl, that is so not fair. If it makes you feel any better, it happens to big companies too. I remember when the people who own Heirloom Roses had just such a shock and were in an uproar over it. And that really is what the internet troll is doing, holding your name for ransom. Terri Ann gave you great advice and the other alternatives to .com are becoming more and more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good advice! I haven't thought about this before, but certainly something to be aware of and think about! Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post, Cheryl. Trolls will be trolls. But those of us who are truly interested in your products and blog will be willing to follow you no matter what comes after the dot. Even the long blogspot. Crazy Mom Quilts has been doing this for much longer than most of us quilting bloggers. And she is still on a blogspot,com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad that this happens, and that it happened to you. I hope that you find a solution that works for you, whether that is a different extension or just waiting and seeing what happens in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did purchase my domain when I started my blog because its very easy to redirect it to your blogger account and I thought it looked more professional than having the blogspot.com extension. I would encourage you to get your.net domain and use it on your blogger site. One thing I wonder is how you know if you are a no-reply blogger, not really understanding exactly what that is but have seen the term a lot this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear that. I bought my domain name to before I launched my blog through blogger. I follow this hacking stuff through the "Wall Street Journal," everyday, and it's appalling how the bad guys try to make a buck any way they can off people who are going about their business and doing the right thing. I'm not sure if you want to, or if you can even do this, but see if you can buy the domain name as Meadow Mist Design; no "s'. Or Meadow Mists Designs. Hope that helps,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blog with Wordpress, and it is super easy, no coding needed. I had to get a Blogspot address just to comment, which irks me but I just gave up fighting and gave in. The Blogspot blog will lead you to my real content. Advertisers jumping on domain names has been going on for a long time. But there are other ways to get around it like annieb said, and you already know you can use .net or .co or some of the other newer ones now available. I haven't purchased mine either, maybe at some point but haven't felt the need yet. Thank you for the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to look at my address blog's address at .com, and it's taken by the same one that took yours. I don't have plans to change from blogspot any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear that your blog-name was taken. You may want to get the .net address while it is still available. You never know, someone might decide to register that one too.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Wordpress blog and like Carol, I had to have a Blogspot address just to comment! It will lead you to my Wordpress blog, but it’s quite annoying!
    Annieb’s idea sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't really thought about it before and I see that my domain name is available (for $9.99) but I'm not sure what I would do with it since I don't know how to code (and don't have a huge interest to learn). I guess that's why I stay on blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry that happened! It's good advice to be aware that this can happen. . . I think in our respectful quilting community it's not common to think that someone on the outside would want to purchase our domain names to make a quick profit. But I guess it's a reality. So sorry, Cheryl, but thanks for the PSA! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good tip!
    The other thing with some bloggers I find tricky is that they sometimes have an address that does not match up with what they call the blog on the page. The URL might be janesews.wordpress.com but the banner reads something like Quilts R Us - a mismatch. It can be tough figuring out what to call yourself to start with, but it is also tough for people to find you if they are not sure of your blog's name. I have one or two blogs in my feed that still throw me into confusion because of this. Maybe this is another topic for the blog hop alumni.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That would irk me, too! I haven't checked for my domain name yet, but at this stage in the game, I am not prepared for a true blog. I am learning as I go and, like you, will figure out my next step as it comes and I'm ready. Great tip, though, because I will be checking on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good advice, you never know when they will come up with a TV show that exactly matches your blog name (try googling Life in Pieces, you'll see what I mean). So sorry that it happened to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!