The Midnight Mystery Quilt will run from June 2015 until March 2016 with a set of directions revealed the first Thursday of every month. The mystery quilt will finish at approximately 72" x 72", a very nice lap size and is an advanced beginner level containing half square triangles, square in a square units, flying geese, and basic patchwork. (There is no applique, Y-seams, or paper piecing in the pattern.)
The directions will be posted to this blog (and can always be found in the Mystery Quilt tab above) and e-mailed to the mystery quilt distribution list. Want to be added to the e-mail list? Simply add a comment to this post (with your e-mail if you are a no reply blogger) or send an e-mail to me at cheryljbrickey (at) gmail (dot) com to get a more printer friendly version of the monthly instructions.
Please share your progress pics on social media with the hashtag #MidnightMysteryQuilt.
And now onto June's instructions...Fabric Selection.
The Midnight Mystery quilt uses 4 Fabric Sets (A, B, C, and D). For each of these sets you may use a single fabric or a combination of fabrics. Listed below are the amounts of fabric needed for each set if using a single fabric per set. In parenthesizes is listed the color I am going to use to represent the fabric set in future months' instructions.
Fabric Set B – 1 ¼ yards (Shown as yellow in the future pattern instructions)
Fabric Set C – 1 ⅞ yards (Shown as purple in the future pattern instructions)Fabric Set D – 2 ⅛ yards (Shown as white in the future pattern instructions)
(For the Un-mystery quilters: in the sneak peek picture I sent out, the yellow was fabric A, the dark blue was fabric B, the white was fabric C, and the gray was fabric D.)
To help ensure that you are happy with the final quilt design here are some fabric selection tips and hints:
1. Fabrics A and B will be next to each other, Fabrics B and C will be next to each other, and Fabrics C and D will be next to each other. Please test these fabric set pairs to make sure there is enough distinction and contrast between the fabric sets.
2. If you are going to go with a scrappy look for any of the fabric sets, some of the fabric in the sets will require larger fabric cuts (up to 19” wide) so make sure you have larger scraps to cut from.
3. The fabric yardage amounts listed above are for a single fabric, if using a combination of fabrics for the fabric sets, please add ½ to 1 additional yard due to cutting waste.
4. Need help choosing? Just e-mail me and I will help you through the fabric selection process.
Midnight Mystery Quilt Kits:
Nervous about selecting the fabrics? Pile O'Fabric is offering Midnight Mystery Quilt Kits in two colorways which include all of the fabrics needed (6 7/8 yards total) to make the quilt top and the binding (backing not included). Each of the kits are $52 with free shipping within the domestic US. I will posting later on today more information about the kits including which color corresponds to which fabric set.
Just a Few Additional Announcements:
1. Button - I have made a button for the mystery quilt :) If you decide to join in on the quilt-a-long and have a blog I would love it if you posted the button.
2. Prizes - We will have a bunch of prizes for the quilt reveal in March 2016 (these will be randomly given away). The sponsors of the Midnight Mystery Quilt are The Bear Creek Quilting Company, Pile O'Fabric, and Meadow Mist Designs. Details on what each are giving away can be found in the sponsors post here.
3. The Un-Mystery Quilt - Want to join in the fun but making a mystery quilt is not your thing? If you would like to see the final pattern to decide whether to join in, or to help pick colors; simply e-mail me and I will send you a sneak peak (the only rule is that you have to keep the design completely to yourself as to not spoil anyone else's surprise).
4. Facebook Group - I would love to know if there is interest in creating a Facebook group around the Mystery Quilt (and other Meadow Mist Designs patterns). Please let me know if you would be interested in joining a Facebook group to share progress pictures and connect with other mystery quilters.
Wow, I hope that was not too much information for one post, I am looking forward to quilting along with you!