Welcome to the 6th month of instructions for the Midnight Mystery Quilt! The previous instructions can be found here:
(all links and other information can also be found in the Mystery Quilts tab above)
First, a Few Announcements:
1. Is it too late to join? - It is definitely not too late! This quilt-a-long has a nice slow pace with a month between instructions so there is plenty of time to get caught up!
2. Want instructions in an easier to print format? - Simply leave a comment below (with e-mail address if you are a no-reply blogger) or send me an e-mail at cheryljbrickey (at) gmail (dot) com to get on the e-mail distribution list.
3. Share your progress - Don't forget to post pictures of the fabrics you have chosen and your in-progress pics to our very active Facebook group (over 300 members now!!) and on social media using the hashtag #MidnightMysteryQuilt.
And now onto the instructions... this month we are going to make a few half square triangles (HST) and start with some block assembly.
Just as a reminder, in the illustrations for the quilt instructions, Fabric A will be represented by the color pink, Fabric B will be represented by the color yellow, Fabric C will be represented by the color purple, and Fabric D will be represented by the color white.
Combine the following fabric squares to form Half Square Triangle Units (HST units) using the method below.
2 Fabric A squares (4” x 4”) and 2 Fabric B squares (4” x 4”) to form 4 A/B HSTs (3 ½” x 3 ½”).
2 Fabric B squares (4” x 4”) and 2 Fabric C squares (4” x 4”) to form 4 B/C HSTs (3 ½” x 3 ½”).
2 Fabric C squares (4” x 4”) and 2 Fabric D squares (4” x 4”) to form 4 C/D HSTs (3 ½” x 3 ½”).
a. Place the squares (4” x 4”) right sides together. Draw a diagonal line using a removable marking device on the back of the lighter square (shown as the solid line).
b. Sew ¼” on either side of the solid line (dotted lines). Cut on the solid line and press seam open or towards the darker fabric.
c. Trim each HST unit to (3½” x 3½”).
d. Repeat to form 4 A/B HST units, 4 B/C HST units, and 4 C/D HST units (3 ½” x 3 ½”).
1. Unit 1 - Combine 18 Flying Geese Units and 18 Square in a Square Units to form 18 Unit-1 as shown. Each Unit-1 should measure 9 ½” x 6 ½”.
2. Unit 2 - Combine 16 Flying Geese Units, 16 Square in a Square Units, and 8 Fabric A squares (6 ½” x 6 ½”) to form 8 Unit-2 as shown. Each Unit-2 should measure 24 ½” x 6 ½”.
3. Unit 3 - Combine 4 Fabric A/B HST Units, 4 Fabric B/C HST Units, 4 Fabric C/D HST Units, and 2 Fabric A rectangles (6 ½” x 3 ½”) to form 2 Unit-3 as shown. Each Unit-3 should measure 24 ½” x 3 ½”.
A Few Additional Announcements:
1. Button - I have made a button for the mystery quilt :) If you decide to join in on the quilt-a-long and have a blog I would love it if you posted the button.
2. The Un-Mystery Quilt - Want to join in the fun but making a mystery quilt is not your thing? If you would like to see the final pattern to decide whether to join in, or to help pick colors; simply e-mail me and I will send you a sneak peak (the only rule is that you have to keep the design completely to yourself as to not spoil anyone else's surprise).
3. Share your progress - Don't forget to post pictures of the fabrics you have chosen and your in-progress pics to our very active Facebook group and on social media using the hashtag #MidnightMysteryQuilt.
Many thanks to our wonderful Midnight Mystery sponsors!