Friday, November 20, 2015

Bright Baby Quilt Finish

I have a fun finish to share with you today, I have named it my Bright Baby Quilt (innovative name right?)


I started this quilt in September  before my little roller skating tumble took me away from the sewing machine for a while.

I was making this baby quilt as a present for some of my sister's friends who are expecting a baby at the beginning of January. The couple had struggled for many years with infertility and so my sister wanted to gift them a bright and bold quilt. They are not finding out the sex of the baby so the quilt had to also be gender neutral. 

I used this jellyroll of FreeSpirit bold solid colors and took out a few of the pinks and purples to make the color palette more gender neutral.


I used the Wishes String Quilt pattern by Karen Vail (of Cascade Quilts) available as a free tutorial on the Moda Bake Shop. The pattern is really cool because you sew the jelly roll strips into a tube and then using a special ironing and cutting trick you wind up with blocks with the white strip centered along the diagonal. 

Here is a picture of my almost 15 year old kitty, Abby, modeling the blocks.


I sewed the blocks together and then added a white border to help control and distortion from quilting (because the blocks have all bias edges).

For the quilting, I kept it simple with some straight line echoing of the diamond shapes and then through the middle of the white stripes.


I am linking up to Link a Finish FridayWhoop Whoop FridayThank Goodness Its Finished FridayFinish It Up FridayFabric Frenzy Fridayand Show Off Saturday @ Sew Can She.




16 comments:

  1. I love this! The bright colors and dynamic pattern are perfect for a baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so cute! Sure to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their baby is going to LOVE this quilt and so are the parents Cheryl! The colors and the design are very appealing!
    Goodness your Abby looks no where near her age - she's a little cutie cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good work..a very pretty and bright baby quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see it finished. It's a great name - it is bright! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the finish! What did you use for the backing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple, graphic, colourful... Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful and happy quilt for this special baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! So bright and beautiful and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer gender neutral quilts as a rule. This one is so fun a colourful. I'm going to check out the tutorial and learn how to get that white strip in the middle. It really makes the other colours pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a colorful,and fun quilt! I also love the simple quilting you chose. Great pic of your cat. She looks quite healthy and spry for almost 15!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely quilt Cheryl! I love those bright happy colors! We featured your quilt over on the FWFS blog! Thank you for stopping by and linking up!

    -Lindsey
    http://fortworthfabricstudio.blogspot.com/2015/11/fabric-frenzy-friday-features_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a thoughtful gift and you made the perfect quilt for the occasion. It's such a happy quilt. Abbey is a perfect model too :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very bright and very fun baby quilt. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love bright colored quilts for babies. They're going to love it. And my goodness, Abby, your quilt model is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!