Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Trunk Full of Quilts - An Online Trunk Show

Welcome to my stop on the Trunk Full Of Quilts online quilt trunk show event hosted by Soma @ Whims and Fancies. If you are new to my blog, I hope that you will take a few minutes to look around. In addition to the seven quilts I highlight below, you can find all of my finishes for the last 3 years on the tabs above.

I am so excited for Soma's online truck show, I have never done an actual, in-person trunk show. This link party gave me an excuse to look back through the quilts I have made throughout the years and share some of my favorites. I look forward to visiting all of the other truck shows too!

For each quilt, I am going to give a little information, but you can click on the name of the quilt to be taken to its blog post if you would like to learn more about it.

I figured that I should start my trunk show with My first quilt, made using the Stepping Star pattern by Sweet Jane. Instead of using the jelly roll the quilt was designed for, I used a variety of green, blue, and brown 1/4 yard cuts and fat quarters from JoAnn's. I also resized the quilt and added a row of blocks into the backing. While basically writing the pattern with my changes, I fell in love with writing patterns and quilt math.  A simple meander quilting pattern finished off the quilt.



On a "Jelly" Roll has been one of my favorite quilt designs and is my number best selling pattern.  I used a jelly roll of Oh Deer by Momo combined with a crisp Kona white background.  I really love the bright fun colors in this quilt and Irish chain look.




Another of my favorite finishes in 2013 was this wall hanging Folded Star Mini Quilt.  I used the tutorial Fancy Folded Star Pot Holder by Maria from Not Only Quilts to make a fun mini wall quilt for my sister for Christmas.




In 2014, I made Oh the Places You'll Go, a mini quilt for the Michael Miller QuiltCon challenge quilt.  For this challenge, I decided to try two new techniques: curved piecing and quilting in a concentric circle.  When I finished the quilt top, it reminded me of one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books, "Oh the Places You'll Go" and that is how it got its name.




Another favorite quilt of mine is Pike's Peak, which was made for the Make Modern magazine.  I originally had submitted the design as a mini and the quilters at Make Modern asked if I could enlarge it to a lap size quilt.  Making the quilt larger wound up being a wonderful idea as it gave more room to add in quilting which was formed by straight lines using a walking foot and dense back and forth quilting using a free motion foot.





My next quilt I would like to show in the trunk show is my Use Your Illusion quilt.  I designed this quilt for the Modern Quilt Guild's quilt pattern of the month program.  To design the quilt, I started in EQ7 with the entire quilt top being blocks full of alternating black and white stripes.  I then randomly colored some of the black stripes white until I was wound up with this.  The quilt is entirely paper pieced which is great for accuracy.




My final quilt in my trunk show is my version of the Foothills Mystery Quilt.  This was my first mystery quilt I ever wrote and hosted and I had such a great time that I am currently running my second mystery quilt-a-long now (You can see the whole mystery quilt reveal parade and you can find all of my free mystery quilts here.)




Thank you so much for joining in with me on my first trunk show!  Please take some time to go through the other trunk shows over at Whims and Fancies.




Follow Meadow Mist Designs
E-mail          Bloglovin          Instagram










34 comments:

  1. Ah - I just "Wowed!!!" my way right through your trunk show Cheryl! How fun that you fiddled around so much with your first quilt that you discovered your love for designing! I love all your quilts! "Oh the Places You'll Go" is Amazing and the piecing really fools the eye, but the quilting was the step that kicked it right over the top. Pike's Peak is so awesome too. they all are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilts, your quilting designs really enhance them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic trunk show. I really like getting to see some of your earlier work, and I'm so glad I was fortunate to get to see two of these in person at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful trunk show, Cheryl. Enjoyed seeing all your designs and your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your quilts but my favorite is "on a jelly roll".........thanks for sharing your trunk with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I love your modern quilts! They are fabulous! Thanks for sharing... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is beautiful. Loved the "on a jelly roll" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading this and am inspired by your quilting on Pikes peak!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilts! I love the quilting on Pike's Peak very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH how very fun to see these pieces. I especially love the Pike's Peak piece - it really captures my fancy! Awesome fun, thanks for sharing Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many gorgeous quilts and that pot holder is so pretty! You do amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colors in "On a Jelly Roll"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so impressed that at your first quilt you were already adapting the pattern and changing it up - fantastic. Loved all the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilts. Your quilting on the Pikes Peak quilt looks like it could have been done on a longarm it done so precisely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love that you rewrote the pattern from your very first quilt!! And I just loved seeing Oh The Places You'll Go again. I am so captivated by that quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your designs and it is wonderful to see many of your beautiful quilts showcased together here. "Oh the Places You'll Go" has been and always will be my all time favourite :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Pike's Peak quilt - such a bold contrast in the colours and the quilting makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely job on your first trunk show, Cheryl! You have so many pretty quilts to share. I'm curious about your first mystery quilt...how many followers did you have when you started? I'd like to try something like that, but I worry my following is still too small...but then I wonder if starting something like that would help grow my followers...and around and around I go :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful modern trunk show!! I love them all (and do your mysteries with you!!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very fun and varied portfolio of quilts. I couldn't pick a favorite, they are all beautiful. Love the name "Oh the places you'll go", the name really fits the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Although I am inspired by antique quilts I do love modern quilts very much! Your quilts are stunning and your eye for color is fantastic! Pikes Peak has to my favorite! Wowser!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are such a visual treat, and your comments make them even more interesting. I especially like how your quilting enhances your design on Pike's Peak and Oh the Places You'll Go, and how you designed Use Your Illusion. The folded star mini brought back a memory for me. Years ago, my mom taught me how to make one. She was not a quilter, but learned how to make one at a craft group. She trimmed around the star with decorative lace and mounted it on a straw paper plate holder to hang on a wall. I remember making a few for gifts after that. Thanks for prompting a pleasant memory. I like how the quilting makes yours pop out in 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just a great 'wow' factor in this trunk show stop! Love the colors, patterns, textures, and bits of play here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilt show is wonderful, I love all the geometrics at play in your quilts, but my very favorite is that sweet folded mini-star!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing. I do follow your blog and enjoy every post. I am really drawn to the way you did your Michael Miller pastel solids challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your quilts and designs! Your quilting and designs are beautiful and so intricate. I especially love your Jelly Roll design and the folded Star mini quilt.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I couldn't pick a favourite of any of these quilts as they are all stunning! Love your designs and use of colour (and B&W!). Very modern and fresh!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy moly! These are amazing! My eyes are still tripping from that Illusion quilt. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice workmanship and design. A busy woman who also needs to create.
    enjoyed it. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love looking at all your quilts Cheryl. They are graphic and colorful and your workmanship is *so* good. They definitely show off your creative side. Thanks for sharing your trunk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the graphic nature of your quilts - very striking indeed. Thanks for the fun trunk show!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A virtual trunk show is a great idea. Thanks for sharing all the nice work. Your Illusion quilt will always be one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!