Wednesday, March 23, 2016

PWS - Extra Post - Tech Editors





Today we have a extra bonus post for the Pattern Workshop Blog Series!  I was introduced to Linda Griepentrog, who is a tech editor, writer and designer, by Christa Watson.  Linda was generous to offer to teach us a little about tech editors today.



Unsung Heroes of Sorts

As a pattern designer, do you ever breathe deeply with trepidation that everything is perfect with the instructions before you press that "upload" button to launch your new design or send it off to the printer? And, then comes the first e-mail with a question about the number of pieces cut or where a particular fabric goes in the design. Oops….missed that.

Behind the scenes working in home offices around the country are those who can help avert pattern crises—they're called tech editors. When you're just starting out in the pattern biz you're trying to keep expenses to a minimum, but this is one resource person you shouldn't do without. Your reputation as a designer and pattern writer is on the line. As you well know, if there's an issue with your pattern, frustrated consumers tend to let all their quilting friends know about it.

So what does a tech editor do? They're the minions who double check yardage requirements, the number of pieces cut vs. what the instructions call for. They also check that your design comes out to the size it says it is and that the pieces all fit together to make the blocks work. If grammar and spelling aren't your thing, there's a double check for that as well. And do the illustrations show what is detailed in the instructions and the finished quilt? Perhaps you accidentally show that blue piece on the left of the block, but the instructions say to put it on the right.

Most tech editors also check for style. Did you say "With right sides together, place piece A and piece B together" in one paragraph and then in the next one say, "Place piece C and D right sides together." In a perfect world, both instructions should be formatted the same.

Tech editors often suggest a different order for assembling something, or a different method for doing something based on their years of quilting/sewing experience. Not, that you have to make the change, but it might be worth thinking about.

Most people don't love math, but tech editors do. And they're also those crazy personalities that love the "find six differences from picture A to picture B" puzzles. They have a mind for detail and are sticklers for consistency.

You can have a friend read over your pattern as a double check, but it's better to have a professional—someone who isn't emotionally attached to you or the project—do this work. Yes, you do have to pay tech editors. Most charge by the hour and rates vary, so perhaps contact several to see who you feel comfortable working with. Network with other pattern designers for recommendations.
Investing in your pattern product will bring long-term rewards.


Linda Griepentrog is a tech editor, writer and designer who lives in Bend, Oregon. She works with independent pattern designers, fabric companies and book publishers counting triangles and squares with calculator in hand. You can contact her at gwizdesigns@aol.com.



16 comments:

  1. I have recently starting having my patterns doubled checked so I don't have to worry about issues popping up. It is piece of mind. This has been a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a tech editor! However, I better first see if I can actually write a pattern! Thanks for the insight, very educational!

    I have an unrelated question to this post, but regarding patterns. There are always stipulations with patterns: All rights reserved, not for comercial sale, for personal use only, you can sell your quilts on a small scale or you must give credit to the designer. Is there a standard, and do you include something like this on your patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My local quilt shop is about 15 miles away from me, and it contains over 10,000 bolts of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great addition to the series. Sometimes I think the hardest art of writing a pattern is trying to put it into words so it's clear and concise. It's one thing to know how to do something in your mind but another thing entirely to put that knowledge into words. Tech editors can really help with that part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In am also a freelance tech editor, and I'm so happy to see this post as I was thinking about it all through your series! I know I'm a little fussier than the average quilter because it's my job... but I'm always surprised/dismayed at the obvious mistakes I find in commercial patterns. A tech edit is really just as important as having sew a sample or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Jayne, an layer of security would be nice, but I better get to writing that first pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great addition to the series. Now just on to the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Now there is a very valuable service for pattern writers! Even if you have a publishing company, their editors don't really do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO great! I wish I had known this when I wrote my first (and only... so far) pattern. I had my sister check it over, but she is a general editor, not a tech editor and she knows nothing about quilting, so she pretty much just checked my spelling and stuff. It would have helped a ton to have someone actually go over the tech stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, another interesting insight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing another great post, Cheryl. I wondered if there were people out there who do this kind of thing. Often when people offer to pattern test, they come back later and proudly show how they made the quilt using your pattern and then state, "I didn't actually read the instructions. I just looked at the pictures!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've started using a TE too, and it's so worth it to have that peace of mind that a second pair of quilting professional eyes have checked it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great information! It would definitely relieve the stress of wondering if there are errors. When you read and re-read your own pattern, sometimes it all swims together. I usually write it, test it, re-write, re-test then have other people test...but I agree with Lorna, sometimes we just assume and skim over the pattern while we construct it or just look at the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always think of that task as part of my testing work. Did not know there was such a job as technical editor. worth knowing. This whole series has been very enlightening. Thank you for taking the time to assemble it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do this for a quilting friend. It is very tedious work! I am honest with her when something isn't working and I'm glad she doesn't get mad or upset about it. After I check every single number, I make the quilt, using the directions, not just the pictures! I consider it my job to help her sell error free and easy to understand patterns. You should love math and details if you're considering doing this for someone! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A big thank you for your serie, I really enjoyed reading every part of it. And I can't wait to send you pictures of your Foothills Mystery Quilt members of my guild are supposed to finish by beginning of May.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!