Thursday, March 3, 2016

Midnight Mystery Quilt - My Reveal

Thank you so much to everyone who has been taking part or following along in the Midnight Mystery Quilt, here is the reveal of my Midnight Mystery Quilt :)

Please stop by again next Thursday (March 10th), to see the Midnight Mystery Parade showing off everyone's versions of the quilt pattern. (If you have a quilt top or quilt complete, please send me an e-mail at cheryljbrickey (at) gmail (dot) com including a picture of your quilt top/quilt and your state or country to be entered in the parade and for the giveaway prizes.) 

Just as a reminder, the mystery quilt instructions can be found in the tab above and they will never be taken down so you can start at any time.  If you would rather have an easy to print version of the Midnight Mystery Quilt it is now available for same on my Etsy shop.




For my version, I used:

Fabric Set A: Denyse Schmidt - Chicopee - Dotted Leaf in Lime
Fabric Set B: Lotta Jansdotter - Katya - Dark Blue
Fabric Set C: Kona White
Fabric Set D: Kona Ash


For quilting, this quilt really was a bugger.  I had first thought to quilt each section with a different design, I even bought matching threads for each section before I abandoned this idea for some dense straight line quilting.
  I went with 1/2" spaced lines which meant 144 lines each 72" long (so 10,368 inches or 864 feet of quilting total).  This took forever!

While I was quilting, I hit the little seam guide bar on my walking foot with the quilt and bent the presser foot assembly.  This resulted in a screen of death on my Bernina.  "Fatal error" is never a good thing for a sewing machine to say.  I made a quick and frantic trip to my local, awesome Bernina store and they fixed it right then in about a half an hour.  

I got back to quilting again but being very, very careful this time.  After the hours of quilting I can say that I am very happy with the texture it created, though I am not in a hurry to ever do it again!



Please come back on the 10th for the full parade, there are some absolutely beautiful versions of the Midnight Mystery Quilt!

I am linking up to Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh QuiltsNeedle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, Whoop Whoop Friday @ Confessions of a Fabric AddictThank Goodness Its Finished FridayFinish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom QuiltsFabric Frenzy Friday @ Fort Worth Fabrics Studio.



32 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful quilt design! I can't wait for the parade even though it will make me a bit jealous. I really wish I could have gotten around to this quilt! Julie@TheCraftyQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty. I am slowly getting my quilt finished. This has been one to best mystery qal, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt! Looking forward to the parade :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chery--it came out beautiful! We can send a picture of the finished top for the parade? It doesn't have to be quilted. I think I am going to quilt each section and picking up matching thread today.
    I'll email a picture of the quilt top/sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I can't imagine quilting that many lines, but it added great texture to the quilt. I was debating on doing custom quilting on one of my tops and something simple (if you can call 144 lines simple) to the other top, just to show how quilting can add a different look to the same quilt. Now I might be in love with straight lines. Looking forward to the finish parade. Thanks so much for such a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that the "Fatal error" was easily fixed! That must have been a heart stopping moment. o_O I think that binding really is perfect for the quilt - it frames it out so nicely. Next week's parade of finishes is going to be so much fun, I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look and am still pondering how to quilt mine. Straight line looks great though maybe I'll try a little more spread apart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Great fabric choices for a midnight mystery. The yellow against the deep blue and the white does look like moonlight and lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since the top is done, I am sending it over to my custom quilter to add some scrolling lines, pebbling and feathering. Fun quilt! I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt. Thanks again Cheryl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely texture! Looking forward the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!!! this is on my list to do.............a summer project. thanks for the pattern. Can't wait to see all of the finished quilts. they have been awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I like the quilting, but not sure I'd have the patience to quilt all those lines. Hoping to get some photos of mine this weekend so I can link up in time. Thanks again for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, and so worth the agony of quilting all those lines. (Your analysis of the length of quilting really drove that home.) I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's version of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your colours and the straight line quilting. I only just finished my quilt top now after a week of focused dedication. Now off to send you an email - thanks so much for a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A gorgeous finish! I love the straight line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning - subtle colours with perfect tones. Your quilting is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I love how the pattern creeps off the edge. Very modern and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. it is beautiful. You've done a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I looks lovely, and the quilting texture great. "Fatal Error" sounds pretty terrifying. I'm glad it all got worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful! I'm so sad I wasn't able to sew along with everyone, but I will be making this quilt soon. A friend of mine is getting married in August and I thought this design would be perfect for a gift, using their wedding colours. Thank you for hosting this and for making the tutorials available to those of us who couldn't sew along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all that straight line quilting and can only imagine the fabulous texture. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list - along with spiral quilting. :) Your quilt is beautiful Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That colourway looks beautiful and the quilting added a wonderful texture! It was definitely worth spending all those hours working on it.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely colors you choose. The parade of this beautiful design will really be something to see!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The straight line quilting is awesome! Even though it takes forever it's always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The straight lines were a perfect way to quilt up this beauty Cheryl! It's such a beautiful pattern and I've loved watching everyone posting their progress in the group and I can't wait for the parade :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a stunning quilt! :) I love the background fabric you picked - such a wonderful choice! We featured your quilt over on the FWFS blog! Thank you for stopping by and linking up!

    Lindsey

    http://fortworthfabricstudio.blogspot.com/2016/03/fabric-frenzy-friday-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fatal error is never good for anything, especially sewing machines! Glad it was easily fixed and that you were back up and running. Love this pattern and your variation of it. Thanks again for a wonderful quilt along experience.

    ReplyDelete
  28. No fatal error here! It's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The quilting really adds to the texture, it's a gorgeous finish. Thank you for a very fun mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!