Monday, April 6, 2015

Nordic Playlist - Quilt Finish and Tutorial

I am excited to share another finish with you today! The Bear Creek Quilting Company has such wonderful fabric, I was so excited to when Shari sent me a fat quarter bundle of Paradiso by Kate Spain for Moda.  I used the bundle to create a queen sized quilt called Nordic Playlist which is now living on my daughter's bed and she loves it :).  

Nordic Playlist finishes at about 90” x 90”, a nice double/queen size.  Each 18” x 18” (finished) block in the quilt uses a fat quarter of a print along with some background fabric, so the size of the quilt is easy to scale up and down.   The free quilt pattern is now up on the Bear Creek Quilting Company's blog



I used a horizontal looping pattern for the quilting and just followed all of the seam lines for virtually no marking.  It still took a really long time to quilt and I will posting some tricks I learned soon for horizontal quilting a larger quilt with a domestic sewing machine easier.



I backed the quilt using a 108" wide Robert Kaufman print that was perfect for the Paradiso line (with the added bonus that I did not have to piece the backing).  Instead of using yardage for the binding, I used three of the left over fat quarters from the line for a matching, yet scrappy binding.  


 

Taking pictures of the queen sized quilt proved to be quite a challenge, anyone have tips on getting good pictures of a quilt that large?

Once again, here is the link to the free pattern :)

I am linking up to Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story, Sew Cute Tuesday @ Blossom Heart Quilts, Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, and WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced, Link a Finish Friday, Whoop Whoop Friday, Thank Goodness Its Finished Friday, Finish It Up Friday, Fabric Frenzy Friday, and Show Off Saturday @ Sew She Can.





20 comments:

  1. What a great pattern and use of fat quarters, Cheryl! Photographing a large quilt is a large challenge, for sure. I almost always opt to photograph them on a bed as that is where they are intended when they are that large anyway, and it gives a great feel for how the pattern looks and drapes. I wish I had better tips to share than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colors are great and I see them being done with Winter colors as they also look like snow flakes in a way! This is so bright and looks perfect on your daughter's bed. I agree that getting a picture of such a large quilt is challenging, from my experience and from what I see, getting pictures from afar with a good area shot around it appear to be really captivating shots for large quilts. Then tons of photos up close just to allow the visualization of the details. Either way, I think your pictures turned out pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great pattern, it really shows off the bright colours of this line. I think a staggered layout would be fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very beautiful quilt for your little girl :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, your work just gets better with each new project! I can't keep up lol :) Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those large blocks look so nice on the bed, I like that you show the quilt on the bed so we can see the scale of the design. The fabrics are so pretty - its a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt! Your pattern really shows off the fabrics well- it is perfect for all those fat quarters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is lovely! The big blocks really show off the fabric. As for taking photos of large quilts, I've had good luck taking them to the park and propping them on the benches, equipment, trees there. You get some odd looks, but good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great pattern! Those big block would make it a quick quilt to finish... at least the top. Your loop de loop quilting must have taken several hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt! The college I went to (Luther College) is Norwegian in history and heritage and I bet many people there would love this!

    I saw above that you usually participate in several link-ups. My Mom and I blog at Prairie Sewn Studios are trying to gain some traction on our new link-up that goes up each Friday and focuses on helping the crafting community connect online and encourage each other by commenting on just three of the posts in the link up. We'd love to have you participate, the info can be found here: http://www.prairiesewnstudios.com/search/label/Crafty%20Comment%20Karma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic pattern - I might have to make that some day!

    I'm working on my first larger quilt right now and I'm planning to take it out to the park with a friend to hold it up because I'm at a loss for any other way to do it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great pattern/tutorial. I really like patterns with squares and rectangles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this!!! So versatile in size options, and the blocks of color really keep my eyes moving around the quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pattern, love your colours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I love the block. Taking pictures of big quilts is crazy hard! I think you did a great job with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a terrific pattern, and your quilt turned out soooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Lovely design and wonderful fabric choices, Cheryl. A really beautiful quilt that we're so lucky that you turned into a pattern. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These gorgeous prints show off this pattern perfectly! Wow! What a beauty! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors you chose! I love how big the blocks are, you think I could make a wall-hanging off this pattern? My sewing room is in desperate need of a wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!