Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Paisley Vines - a Quilting Tutorial

I came up with a new (to me) quilting pattern when I was trying to figure out how to quilt my Foothills Mystery quilt.   I really like the paisley quilting pattern, but that seemed too busy and dense for my Mystery Quilt. I also love the meandering or stippling pattern, but I wanted to try something with a little twist. I played with combining stipple pattern and a paisley pattern forming what I am calling Paisley Vines.


The design is very similar to a meandering pattern with double loops except the loops have a tear drop-like shape.  I am guessing that I am not the first to come up with this design, but here is how I quilted it:

1.  Start with a little meandering curve.
2.  Add a tear drop shape
3.  Echo the tear drop shape
4.  Continue meandering until you decide to add another paisley



I really like the design in that it adds a little something special to a simple meandering.  Playing around with the size of the paisley shapes and the distance between paisley shapes can make the quilting pattern look completely different.

Here is a picture of the Paisley Vines on my Foothills Mystery quilt:



Here is another version where I I made such shorter stipple travels between the paisley shapes:



Here are three different versions side by side, changing the size of the paisley shapes and the amount of travel.


I hope I inspired you to maybe give this quilting pattern a try :)

I am very happy to link up with Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh QuiltsNeedle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, and WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.



I am also linking up to Tips and Tutorials Tuesday over at the Late Night Quilter's blog.



4 comments:

  1. Great description, Cheryl, and I really like how different the design can look with just a few changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cute! I am searching for a good pattern/design to use to quilt a wall hanging with an umbrella and this might work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm not very skilled at FMQ but this looks like a design I'd like to practice. And so versatile, with the different sizes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!