Monday, July 22, 2019

Disappearing Oranges - MGQ Pattern of the Month for July

I am so happy to show you my newest quilt, Disappearing Oranges which is the July pattern of the month for the Modern Quilt Guild (free to all MQG members)!

You can find the pattern on the MQG website right here.

For quilters coming over from the MQG, welcome! I hope you have a chance to take a look around my little blog including some of my recent finishes and my fifth annual mystery quilt called the Mosaic Mystery quilt which just started a few weeks ago. You can also find me over on Instagram as MeadowMistDesigns.


Disappearing Oranges was made using my Subcontracting for Minimalism technique starting with an orange peel design.  I am excited to be teaching this technique again at QuiltCon 2020.

Many thanks to:

  • Hoffman Fabrics for the Indah Batik Solids
  • The Warm Company for the Warm & White batting
  • Aurifil for the thread for piecing and quilting
Photo by the MQG

For the quilting, those that know me well know that I prefer to do free motion quilting over straight line quilting.  But looking at the design, I really thought that a cross-hatch pattern would be the right choice.  I used random spacing of the quilting lines (guiding off of previous stitched lines with different parts of my walking foot) to have spaces between ¼" to 1 ½".

I used a 50 wt white (2021) Aurifil thread for the quilting.  The thread was great for adding texture and not standing out too much on the high contrast dark blue and orange fabrics.

Photo by the MQG

A fun light blue Me + You batik from Hoffman Fabrics completed the quilt as the backing.

I want to give a special thanks to Yvonne of Quilting Jetgirl for her super pattern review skills!! 




13 comments:

  1. It looks awesome Cheryl and having taken this class gives me a different perspective on it. I like the mixture of petals and circles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. When I saw the picture in the newsletter I thought it looked like your style before I looked up the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very col pattern Cheryl. I really like the varied spacing with the cross hatch. It elevates the straight line quilting - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome. Now I'm regretting not signing up for your workshop. Oh well...not possible to do everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love what you do with your 'subtracting' technique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt! I am already excited to learn more about the technique :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely, Cheryl! I really liked the black petals, and I love cross hatch quilting :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl, it’s just delightful. Thank you for offering it free the MQG members. I’m pretty excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful quilt! Congrats on getting another pattern ready for publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another terrific design Cheryl! I like the quilting too and like you I prefer FMQ but sometimes those lines just are ‘the thang’ right? I also like when they vary in spacing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!