Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Spinning Stars Quilt

Today I would like to share a finish from a few months ago that I had not blogged about yet, Spinning Stars.

I originally created Spinning Stars for Modern Quilts Unlimited.  Right before I was about to mail to MQU (I was literally hand sewing the last side of binding), I got the sad news that Modern Quilts Unlimited was shutting down and that no more issues were going to be produced.

The editors from Modern Patchwork had contacted me the previous week asking about submitting some quilt patterns to them.  I offered Spinning Star to them and shipped it off the next day :)

Spinning Stars appeared in the November/December issue of Modern Patchwork.  Unfortunately, Modern Patchwork shut down at the end of last year and that issue wound up being its last.


A little about Spinning Stars, it is an intermediate level, paper pieced, lap quilt.  I designed the quilt using EQ8 and then selectively removed blocks and elements to wind up with the diagonal line of stars. 

Many thanks to Robert Kaufman for the Kona Cotton Solids, Aurifil for the piecing and quilting thread, and the Warm Company for the Warm & White batting. 

My version of the quilt was made using Kona Cotton Solids in cornflower, copen, storm, kumquat, and white.  I just love the combination of the blues and orange.

Here is a picture from the magazine (photo credit: Modern Patchwork Magazine).


For the quilting, I used an allover large paisley design using Aurifil 50 wt in white (color 2024).  This was one of those designs I had a difficult time figuring out what to do and whether to go with a custom design or an allover.  In the end, I just wanted to give the quilt some texture so I went with an allover design.

Here is where the quilt lives now, on the couch (or more commonly the floor) in our living room.


This picture above is the best representation of the colors in the actual quilt.

Thanks for stopping by :)





29 comments:

  1. Oh I love the quilt! Pretty pattern and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and great pattern. Love blue:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a striking quilt with the design, colors and textures ! Its' just all so right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I like those colors together too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful pattern! Love your color combo. Such a shame all the magazines are no longer publishing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing this in the magazine and, as always, admiring your work. Modern Patchwork was my favorite magazine and I am very disappointed that I'm no longer getting it on the regular.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I loved both Modern Quilts Unlimited and Modern Patchwork and am sad to see them shutdown.

      Delete
  7. Will you be offering the pattern on your Etsy shop? I did not see it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For right now, the only place it is available is the magazine, but I am planning on releasing the pattern as a stand-alone with both baby and lap versions this fall (November when the rights revert to me).

      Delete
    2. Please be sure to inform us when you do. It's a beautiful design.

      Delete
  8. I love it and glad you got it published

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an awesome quilt Cheryl! So pretty. It's too bad that was in the last issue they came out with. I assume that issue will be the only place where we can get your pattern? I'm not sure I could make it, but sure wouldn't mind trying to see if I have more skills than my brain allow me to think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! For right now, the only place it is available is the magazine, but I am planning on releasing the pattern as a stand-alone with both baby and lap versions this fall (November when the rights revert to me).

      Delete
  10. Wonderful quilt design and beautiful quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt but sad story of all the closing magazines. It makes me sad to think so many are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you will be selling this pattern. A beautiful quilt especially since I love stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt and I love the solid colors you have used; they play so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great pattern. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another beauty, Cheryl! You accomplish so much. You must literally live at your sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a great design and I really like the colour combo - I'm making a quilt in shades of blue, orange and yellow at the moment. Such happy sunshine colours!
    Shame we are losing so many printed magazine titles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful quilt! Quilting magazine publishing must be a hard business, so many of them have shuttered in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. its so pretty! I am glad a magazine picked it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely pattern, and such a wonderful colourway. No wonder it's loved and used often :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!