Friday, December 9, 2016

Michael Miller QuiltCon Challenge Mini Quilt

I am happy to show off my entry for the Michael Miller QuiltCon 2017 Challenge today, which I am calling Air on Strings.


The challenge was to use Michael Miller’s new Luxe collection of superior 108″ cotton fabrics.  The rules were to use at least two fabrics from the Luxe line (one solid and one printed).  We could also use one coordinating Michael Miller solid.  

(Here were all of the bundles for my guild, I chose to work with the dark blue bundle)

I made this mini to break up some of the longer term, secret sewing I have having to do recently.  I have been doing a lot of paper piecing recently, so when I had a chance to take a break from that I went in the completely opposite direction with some improv sewing.  

I gave myself a time limit to make the blocks, grabbed my fabric and started cutting.  I made the quilt top without a ruler until I squared it up for binding.  It was fun to see the blocks start to come together in their imperfect, wonkiness.


Due to time and fabric constraints, my quilt finished up at about 18" x 21".  I quilted it using Angela Walter's signature design in a dark blue Aurifil thread (in 50wt) so that the quilting would blend in with the background.  I bound the mini in some more of the Luxe fabrics with a little bit of orange pieced in.


I did submit this quilt for entry into QuiltCon, though with all of the amazing challenge entries I have seen, I do not have high hopes for this one getting in.  I had fun making it and that is what really matters :)






19 comments:

  1. Lovely blues with that dash of Peach? And then came the quilting, wow that is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super cute mini! I love the blues and that pop of contrasting orange. And the quilting is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great mini. And oops...I forgot to play along with this challenge. Now where did I put the bundle?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting you chose turned out beautifully - it's gorgeous to see it from the back. I love the pops of coral you added, and I can totally understand wanting to go from something so structured like paper piecing to improv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful finish! I just love deep blue and orange together. I love the overall quilting you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so much fun to make a quilt in a time frame without the use of rulers, and it's turned out lovely. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting is absolutely stunning, and your mini is awesome! At least you finished your entry--I absolutely loved my idea, but being intricate EPP, I was not able to finish it in time. I'm seriously considering continuing on it to submit to other shows, just for fun. Either way, this sounds like it was a really fun, guideline-less project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good! I especially like your choice of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out great! I love the dark colors and your take on the classic nine patch! Perfect quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that color combination, and your quilting is so gorgeous, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous quilting! Hope to see it in Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pops of orange in the piecing and the binding. Also, that quilting is pretty awesome! Great mini - finger crossed that it gets in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice mini Cheryl. Fun colors and the qulting is fantastic. I bet it felt good to do a complete 180 and work on an improv project. Now back to your secret sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very bright and fun. The pops of orange are perfect with the blues and grays. Hope it gets into QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's beautiful!! I love the colours and wonky blocks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!