Monday, December 19, 2016

2016 Goal Review and 2017 Goals

I can't believe that 2016 is almost gone!  It seems like it was just Halloween and yet we are just a few days away from Christmas.  

My wonderful bloggy friend Yvonne, who blogs are Quilting Jetgirl, hosts an annual planning party to layout goals for the upcoming year.  I thought that I would use this post to first go back to my 2016 goals to see if I had actually accomplished them and then post my 2017 goals.





2016 Goals with Clear Deliverables
  • Develop and publish the Pattern Writing Blog Series 
    •  Done - posted January-March 2016
  • Design and host the 2016-17 mystery quilt 
    • In progress, started in July and will finish up in April
  • Submit a book proposal 
    • Done - more info on this coming in 2017 :)
  • Co-host the 2016 New Quilt Blogger’s Blog Hop 
    • Done - summer 2016
  • Make at least two charity quilts 
    • Done - I made 5!
  • Develop at least 3 new quilt patterns 
    • Done - I launched 6 patterns: Vintage Star, Check Plus, State of Being, Half Circle Mirror, Canvas Lines, and Jelly Lanterns
  • Post at least 4 tutorials 
    • I posted the huge Pattern Writing Workshop, tips for using sheets as backings, and a tutorial for my Cloud9 blog hop blog.  So not quite 4 but pretty decent.
  • Take at least one multiple week long blogging vacation
    • Done - it was great to take a few weeks off and I will be doing so again in 2017
  • Host the Best of 2016 Linky Party (I have had such fun with the 2015 linky party!) -
    • Done (well will be done, the party starts on Monday the 26th, the day after Christmas)


2016 Big Picture Goals
  • Continue my journey on growing as a quilter by learning new techniques and moving outside of my comfort zone.
  • Strive for balance – balance between being a mother and a quilter, between computer time and quilting time, between quilting for “work” and quilting simply for fun.
  • Work at carefully analyzing each opportunity I am presented with and have the courage to say no to the things that do not align with my vision, goals, and time restraints.
  • Become more organized

    • In 2016, I have gotten better at saying no to opportunities (and at least taking a few minutes to think about them before saying yes).  But my balance between quilting for "work" versus fun has been off these last few months and hopefully I will be able to get that back on track for 2017.
I think that I made good progress towards my big picture 2016 goals, these are continuous improvement goals so they will never be done and I would like to carry these over to 2017.  

So in addition to my carried over Big Picture Goals, here are my 2017 Goals with Clear Deliverables:


2017 Goals with Clear Deliverables
  • Design and host the 2017-18 mystery quilt (yes this is happening and will start next July!)
  • Submit some quilt proposals to magazines
  • Make at least 4 charity quilts 
  • Take at least one multiple week long blogging vacation
  • Host the Best of 2017 Linky Party 
  • Learn needle turned applique and make the Rin quilt by Carolyn Friedlander (I already have the pattern :)

Thank you so much Yvonne for hosting such a fun linky party.  Please take a minute to hop over to her blog and visit everyone else's 2017 Planning Links.

I hope that you will consider writing a post and linking up to the Best of 2016 Linky Party on this blog the day after Christmas (you can find out more info right here).




I'd like to finish up this post with pictures of the 27 finished quilts I have made this year, thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a happy holiday! (The pictures use inlinkz so if you are reading this on e-mail you will have to click through to the post on the webpage for the pics to show up.)




35 comments:

  1. All wonderful Season's Greetings Cheryl. I hope in 2017 your days are happy, and you follow every dream . That list seems might full, your finished quilts are a delight to see.2017 will show us again your new designs, quilt-alongs, and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you smashed 2016 and accomplished all your goals and then some, congratulations on such a great achievement. The current mystery quilt is great fun, my first mystery quilt and my first QAL too, so much so I already decided to join the fun in 2017. Good Luck with next years goals, I look forward to what you get up to next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab work - congrats on an amazing 2016 and here's to 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job with 2016 goals. I don't know where the year went. But here's to 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly amazing and the joy of quilting you have shows through in your quilts and all you do. I look forward to all you do in 2017~ What an amazing 2016 you have had. Happy Holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like good year you made wonderful quilts. All the best for the upcoming one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had an amazing 2016, Cheryl, and thanks for your generosity and friendship along the way. I hope that you can quickly find a better quilting balance in 2017, and I look forward to continuing to watch you grow and evolve! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An incredible year! Congratulations!! 27 quilts PLUS everything else you did? I am more than impressed. I am in total AWE!! Happy Holidays and take a break to take care of you! Thanks for sharing all that that you do and are with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - what gorgeous quilts you have made this year. Really interesting to read what you have done in 2016 and best of luck with your 2017 goals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on achieving so many of your goals for 2016 and I wish you a happy, healthy and productive new year! Thank you so much for all that you do for the quilting and blogging community!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job of meeting your goals and you have great goals for the upcoming year. It's good that you are able to say no to some things as well to help keep things in balance. I am really inspired by all that you do Cheryl and the growth that you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow-27 quilts! You are prolific! A book deal in the wings? I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had such an amazing year! I know there's a lot of great coming your way! Looking forward to hearing about your take with needle turn applique. That's on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a ride 2016 has been for you! And a book in the works? Good for you Cheryl. Thanks for ALL you do for QBL. I also think your thoughts on saying no are wise and good advice for moi, as is a blogging vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great goals and congrats on the book. Love all your finishes for the year! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fabulous was your 2016! I'm a little in awe. I've always been to scared to try pattern writing and look at you, with your patterns and your book (!!!!). Can't wait to see what 2017 beings to you.
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. 27 Beauties! Wow Cheryl, what a year of great achievements you've had! Your list for 2017 looks perfect.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't forget to add 'Inspire Others' to your 2016 goals met! You are inspirational to so many people and we all appreciate it! Your 2017 goals are realistic and well thought out! You have had a great year Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am glad you are here sharing your work, I have been inspired by your creations and your efforts to support the quilting community (including newbies like me). I am going to try needle turn this year too, I have my eye on The Collection Quilt to start. Didn't know about the Rin quilt but it looks amazing. Love the vacation goal, need to do that too. Cheers for a great 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on meeting your 2016 goals, Cheryl! Your list of goals for 2017 look great. Oh, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about that book proposal...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. You are an inspiration, Cheryl! I loved seeing your list of goals and how the year went for you - proof that planning makes a huge difference in accomplishing as much as you have in a year. Well done! Hope 2017 is a great year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When you write everything out and I see all those beautiful finishes, I find myself asking...did you sleep any? You had an extremely productive 2016 and it's been exciting to see everything you have accomplished. And, I, for one am extremely happy to see mystery quilt on the 2017 list :) You always have a mystery tester in me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can tell you work for a company that emphasizes goal setting as a way to meet objectives, the "clear deliverable" is a dead give away. It's an effective strategy at work and at home. Congrats on your success in 2016. Wishing you equal success on 2017 goals.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful collection of quilts. I love Kiku and Warp and Weft, great design! Can't wait to see what you do in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just awesome to look at your quilty finishes for 2016. Each one is more beautiful than the next.
    Your goals are inspiring and I look forward to following along as you work on them. Somehow I am quite sure you will succeed. :-) Happy New Year Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  26. PS - Just wanted to come back and tell you good luck with the book that seems to be in the works!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It has been a year of beautiful quilts and wonderful accomplishments for you Cheryl! Looking forward to spending 2017 with you. And can't wait for your book to come out! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, gorgeous quilts you have created. Wonderful goals that you have also.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a 2016 Cheryl! Enjoyed seeing all your finishes altogether! Can't wait to see what you have in store for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great accomplishments for 2016 Cheryl! 2017 looks like it's going to have a lot of fun things planned and many of them are very attainable. Good luck for reaching all of your goals next year.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love seeing all your finishes in one place! Would love to connect with you more in the new year! Can't wait to see what 2017 holds for you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!