Friday, April 19, 2024

Flutter Pattern Revisited



I just updated Flutter just wanted to share the newly redone pattern.  I created the Flutter pattern back when I was working on promoting my first book Modern Plus Sign Quilts.  


I combined the plus sign with Drunkard's path blocks and they reminded me of butterflies so that is how it got its name.

Flutter originally was published in Modern Quilts Unlimited (which is not longer published) as just the throw size and I expanded it into a three size pattern: baby, throw, and twin.

Flutter is a great first curves pattern because the curved blocks are a nice, large size which makes the curve more gentle and easier to sew.



Here are renderings of all three sizes:



COVER QUILT


I made my version of Flutter using Kona Cotton solids in flamingo, lipstick, navy, and white by Robert Kaufman. The batting was Warm & White by the Warm Company and Aurifil thread was used in the piecing and quilting. I matched the quilting threads to the Kona colors.

I quilted each Drunkards Path block using butterfly looking ruler design which I posted a tutorial on the blog about right here.  I quilted the plus signs in a dense back and forth and the white background in a tiny stipple.




I hope that you enjoy it the pattern and I would love to see your versions of Flutter (make sure you share them on social media with #FlutterQuilt).



3 comments:

  1. I think Flutter is a fabulous design and I loved looking back at your quilting tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This blog is a treasure trove of insights! I appreciate the depth of research and thoughtful analysis that went into crafting such an informative piece."
    https://www.discountdrift.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Kudos to the author for addressing important issues with clarity and precision. This blog serves as a catalyst for meaningful conversations and critical thinking."
    https://www.couponsstudio.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!