Monday, May 17, 2021

Just One Charm Pack Quilts - Making Your Own Charm Pack

The Just One Charm Pack Quilts is launches soon!  At the end of this month I will be having a limited time, signed book bundle and next month the book is released! 

As part of the launch, I have recorded a number of videos showing some of the quilts from the book and giving some helpful tips.  

Introductory Video

Picking Out Fabric A and Background Fabric

The book, Just One Charm Pack Quilts, stretches a charm pack to make a quilt by adding in an additional fabric (called fabric A in the patterns) and a background fabric.  

I'm back today with the third video of the series for some tips on how to make your own charm pack.  You can also use this to pick fabrics and colors for a quilt (not just for a charm pack).

Just One Charm Pack Quilts - Video #3 - Making Your Own Charm Pack




EXAMPLE 1

My favorite way to create a charm pack is to build off a favorite print.  Looking at the colors in the print, I pick additional prints and solids that go with this colors.  If you need help figuring out the colors in the print, the selvedge will typically have spots of each color used in the print. 

The added in fabrics do not have to be an exact match and having them a vary a little gives great interest to the quilt top.  I really like to add blender fabrics, which fabric that have prints but read as nearly solids (such as grunge or tone-on-tone) to the charm pack. 

Here is Coin Flip made and quilted by Travis.  To make this charm pack, I started with the pink, white, and black plaid fabric you can see in the quilt top.  Then I pulled a number of black, gray, white, and pink fabrics to compliment it.  I usually try to have enough fabrics that I only have 1-3 squares of each print in my charm pack. 


Coin Flip
Pieced and quilted by Travis
Photo by Stash Publications





EXAMPLE 2

You can also go more monochromatic and pick 1-3 colors to build your charm pack.  Making a charm pack can be as easy as grabbing your bin of pink/red scraps and cutting them down to 5" square.

In One-Eyed Monster, I decided to use lime greens, true greens, and blues (some of my favorite colors).  I went with more saturated colors to stand out well against the white background.  

Usually when I pull fabrics, I over-pull meaning that I pull too many options.  Then I look at them all together and start editing and eliminating some.


One-Eyed Monster
Pieced and quilted by Cheryl Brickey
Photo by Stash Publications




SPECIAL SIGNED BOOK BUNDLE

From only May 29th - June 5th, I am going to be offering a super bundle for signed books that will include additional stand alone patterns, plus an unreleased pattern that will only be available during this pre-sale. More details soon :)




LAUNCH DATES

Publication Date Late June - Just One Charm Pack Quilts will be published towards the end of June.  The exact date is still unknown depending on shipping times/delays.

Pre-Sale Dates May 29th - June 5th - I am going to be offering a super bundle for signed books that will include additional patterns, plus an unreleased pattern that will only be available during this pre-sale.  More details soon :)

Book Hop - July 18-28th - Join in with me and over a dozen quilters highlighting each book quilt!


Just One Charm Pack Quilts - Video #3 - Making Your Own Charm Pack

Do you have any questions after watching the video?  Let me know in the comments below.







7 comments:

  1. You have me with "One Eyed Monster" - such a fun name! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the average size of these quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video and explanation of how to build your own charm pack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to pop on later to take a quick look at the videos, but I know I have a basket of charm squares from "years" back when it was all the rage for shops to do bundles in a club scheme (before technology was the in thing) and I have heaps leftover & although I've made a few baby quilts with them lately, I need more inspiration to use them before I get too old.(giggle) I'm not sure how a blog hop works, but they sound fun. Thanks for your wonderful generosity in sharing, take care & hugs from down under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure there is a ton of stuff here. Marking this one to come back to. Looking forward to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited for the book release! Each sample shown is lovely, lively, and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!