Thursday, October 11, 2018

Testing ++ Diffraction Block

I am happy to share a block and quilt finish today that I made while testing my friend Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl's newest block tutorial.

Yvonne and I tech edit each other's patterns and I was excited to try out her newest tutorial called the Diffraction Block (and her quilt called See Right Through Me using the block).

You can find more information and pictures of the block and quilt on Yvonne's blog and the free tutorial over on the Olfa blog.


Can you believe that this block was made using just a ruler?  When Yvonne initially showed it to me, I figured that it had to have been paper pieced for those angles and accuracy.

With the instructions of using the different angle lines on the ruler and trimming the block after each addition, my block turned out great!

Once I had the block, I thought that it was too pretty to wind up in my pile of orphan blocks, so I built a simple baby-sized quilt top around the block.


The quilt finished at about 36 ½" x 36 ½" (a perfect size for a baby quilt so there is no need to piece a backing).

I added wishbone quilting in the pink border and a simple meander in the background areas.  To finish it off, I thought that the quilt needed a nice frame so I used a super wide binding cut at 5".


I hope that you enjoyed my quilt using Yvonne's Diffraction Block!  You can see more pictures of Yvonne's block and her quilt using the block (called See Right Through Me) on her blog and get the free tutorial over on the Olfa blog.





8 comments:

  1. I tried to comment on Yvonne's site but Olfa won't let me. It is beautiful Love yours and hers. I hope to try someday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! I have a question about the binding. When you make it wide, do you leave it as-is, or insert batting strips? We had a speaker at our guild who encouraged cutting and inserting batting in the binding fold for sturdiness. Just wondering if you had either heard of that or practice that. It's a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheralee - Great question! I just bound the quilt as normal with no extra batting strips. It seemed to work pretty well for me.

      Delete
  3. I love that block and love how you have used it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for testing the block; I love the color and fabric choices you made. And great baby quilt and idea to use a wide bindin to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beauty Cheryl. The colour choices are wonderful and just having the one Diffraction Block has an interesting perspective. I think you just might have to do a tutorial on the extra wide binding...hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun block! The lines on the rulers sure do come in handy! You turned it into an adorable baby quilt with the pretty colors you chose and the lovely quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely combination of pinks using Yvonne's block!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!