Friday, September 2, 2016

Kiku Quilt in Quilts from 100 Blocks


I'd love to show you my Kiku quilt today which is part of the Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Fall 2016 magazine.

Back in the spring I had a block called Cloud Burst in the 100 Blocks Magazine Volume 13.  Cloud Burst was a paper pieced block design with some unusual angles and shapes that finished at 12" x 12".  Here is the original block from the magazine.  

I was so excited when Quiltmaker contacted me and asked I wanted to make a quilt using Cloud Burst for their special issue Quilts from 100 Blocks!

For the quilt, Quiltmaker asked me to increase the size of the block to 15" x 15" (finished) and together we came up with a modern setting that contains a column of full blocks sandwiched between columns that contain partial blocks (to finish off the secondary pattern) for a more modern design.  

The quilt is a throw size and finishes at 67-1/2” x 75”.  Quiltmaker named the full quilt the Kiku quilt after the Kiku flower saying "The kiku flower, also known as the chrysanthemum, is cherished as a symbol of perfection in Japan."

Johellen George of Cabin Quilt Studio (a super talented longarm quilter in my local guild) quilted Kiku for me in a double loop pattern.  

Here are some of my close up shots of the quilt so you can see the piecing and quilting better:




The Kiku quilt pattern is one of 17 beautiful quilts in the Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Fall 2016 magazine.  Magazine copies are now available in both print and digital formats. The Kiku quilt pattern is also available as a stand alone digital quilt pattern.

Thank you so much Quiltmaker for allowing me to be part of your wonderful publication!!




40 comments:

  1. This is so luminous, Cheryl. I love the colors you've chosen and the crosshatch. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Cheryl. So beautiful and moderna nd minimalistic, yet fresh and inviting. Must save quilt to my 'Drop Dead Gorgeous Quilts' Pinterest board...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything about your quilt is gorgeous--the pattern, fabric, quilting!! Thanks so much sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Style, block setting and color choices. What a great way to upsize a block and place for a Modern Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love the palette and the layout. The quilting is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful quilt. I love this block. What an honor to be one of the blocks made into a quilt for the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the block - LOVE the quilt and LOVE the quilting. Was that a panto??? What is the name of it? I like how it forms a sort of diagonal in the negative space. Very effective.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Cheryl I love this. It's a very striking design and looks great in the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, it's beautiful!! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Cheryl! The colors are spot on. Congrats on the magazine and a beautiful finish! The design of the block is so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful quilt. I love the way the blocks pop with the background and the quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulation Cheryl! Love the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Cheryl. I just bought the magazine primarily for your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Cheryl. I just bought the magazine primarily for your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Cheryl, this is so stunning and I love seeing the original block turned into a quilt. The extra piecing on the sides to complete the secondary pattern really help float the design in the negative space. And the double loop quilting works so well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is my kind of quilt -- I love the palette (all that gray!), the negative space, and crisp paper-pieced design. If this quilt needs a loving home, let me know! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this quilt! The loopy quilting is gorgeous! Great colour choice and lovely pattern! Well deserved publication!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous quilting - really suits it and I really like the assymetric setting

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I just love this quilt! I've been saying for quite a while that I want to make a quilt with more background, but I haven't done it yet. This is so perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is stunning! I love the pattern and the quilt Cheryl. Beautiful quilting - it enhances the quilt perfectly. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful, Cheryl. I love the blocks against the gray background. It really is amazing the accurate angles that can be achieved through paper piecing. I'm growing to love it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that is so pretty - I love the colours and the use of negative space - it's a very restful quilt to look at :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quilt. I love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really beautiful. What fabric did you use for the background?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a stunner! I love the modern look of adding partial blocks to complete the secondary pattern and the texture that was created from all the lovely quilting is wonderful. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful quilt, i really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So beautiful, Cheryl! Congratulations :) It's funny that one of the designs I've been playing with lately involves a row of full blocks with half-block rows on either side!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A wonderful quilt pattern and block. Congratulations on being in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great secondary design created by the partial block! Love the colors AND the quilting too! Congrats on being chosen for the publication!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how the corners where you've made the partial blocks "float" on the grey! Great FMQ design too, and wow such precise piecework. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous! Love the block and the quilting really highlights the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is terrific, and certainly has a Japanese flair to it. The clean lines are especially appealing. Congratulations on being featured in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I absolutely adore this quilt! the secondary designs created are so clever! Congrats on the new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Elegant, yet simplistic as well, with wonderful fabric and color selections. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just catching up with some blog reading and came across this gorgeous quilt. Oh Cheryl it's really stunning and has just been bookmarked for my to do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a wonderful quilt with great quilting. Beautiful colors.
    Greetings from Poland
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!