Friday, October 23, 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2015 - Improv Table Runner


I love taking part in Amy's Quilt Blogger Festival twice a year over on her blog Amy's Creative Side.  We are allowed to link up two quilts to the various categories and have the opportunity to visit and be inspired by other blogger's wonderful quilts.  I was so excited to be highlighted in March in one of Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival Features.

My second entry to the festival is my Improv Table Runner which I designed and made for my Aunt and Uncle's 50 wedding anniversary.  My post about the quilt and design can be found here and I am entering the quilt into the Modern category





I have always admired by Aunt's art, she has been creating longer than I have been alive. Growing up, we had many of her ceramics and mixed media paintings in our house. Based on her art, I thought she might appreciate some improvisational quilting.

I decided on using mostly blue and green solids I with a black print or two. I also included typewriter fabric (Cotton & Steel's Black and White collection) because it was just too cute not to.

To make the piece I started with a loose idea of how wide I wanted the runner to be and just I improv pieced a couple of green and blue strips. I played around with them to see how to fit them all together and added in some stripes of essex linen in black (I love the texture it adds) and some shiny Cotton & Steel to add some sparkle. 



I used a serpentine stitch on my Bernina for some quick quilting, marking the first line down the center and then using the edge of my walking foot for spacing each additional line. The runner finished at 15" x 48". My husband liked it so much he asked me to make another one for our buffet (which is modeling the runner in this picture).


My other entry my Riley Blake Triangle Quilt, which is entered into the Small Quilts category and can be found here.

Here are my entries over the years:


Spring 2015:  Use Your Illusion



Fall 2014:  Vintage Star


Spring 2014:  Kona 2013 Quilt

Spring 2014:  Improv Quilt Two

Fall 2013:  Pi Quilt

If you have stopped by my blog for the first time from the quilt festival thank you!  You can find some of my finishesnewly revamped tutorials page, and mystery quilt-a-long on the tabs at the top of the page.  


If you would like to follow my blog, here are some links for some different following options: BloglovinEmailInstagram.




9 comments:

  1. I always love revisiting your quilts. The colours and the grey are so well balanced and I love how you used the typewriter print. A very lovely finish :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the festival allows us to see so many inspiring projects and celebrate finishes from the last 6 months. This table runner is so sweet, and the thought you put into it. I bet they can feel your loving intent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and green is my favourite colour combo. This is so cute, and I love that typewriter fabric! Saw a cute tote made by a quilter/author out of it and loved it there too! Takes me back... It looks great on your buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great on your buffet. Isn't it nice when someone in the family says they want one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow - that looks wonderful on your side cabinet! Great work with your improv design Cheryl! This Tuesday is the Ad Hoc Improv Link up party at Sew Slowly and Fret Not Yourself, if you'd like to show off this quilt there, it would be a great addition!
    http://www.sewslowly.com/
    http://fretnotyourself.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! Nice fabric choices and you used one of my favorite quilting stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful and it is the first time I have stopped by your blog but won't be the last, hope you can check mine out also. Love your quilting design it really adds the wow to the wuilt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!