Friday, October 23, 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2015 - Riley Blake Triangle Quilt


It's that time of the year again...twice a year during quilt market, Amy, who blogs over at Amy's Creative Side, hosts the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  We are allowed to link up two quilts to the various categories and have the opportunity to visit and be inspired by other blogger's wonderful quilts.  I was so excited to be highlighted in March in one of Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival Features.

My first entry to the festival is my Riley Blake Triangle Quilt which I designed and made for the Riley Blake challenge from the Modern Quilt Guild over the summer.  My post about the quilt and design can be found here and I am entering the quilt into the Small Quilt category




An equilateral triangle quilt has been on my to-do list forever and after I saw that some of the challenge fabrics had a repeating triangle print, I was sold.  In addition to making a triangle quilt for the first time, this was also the first time I had ever bound a quilt without 90 degree corners.


The quilt finished at about 48" x 48", a perfect size for a new baby.  I have a new niece or nephew due this in about a month and if the baby is a girl, I will be sending this quilt off to her. 


I knew that for the quilting in the background areas, I wanted to echo the hexagon shape formed by the print fabrics and then fill in the remaining space with a dense back and forth quilting.  I also wanted to mimic the quilting from the print areas in some of the background, negative space triangles.  I used a ribbon candy design in the print areas that once quilted, almost gave the hexagons quilting pattern that almost resembled a flower.






My other entry the Improv Table Runner is entered into the Modern Quilt category and can be found here.


Here are my entries over the years:

Spring 2015: Use Your Illusion
Spring 2015: Plus Plus - Two Tone Version

Fall 2014: Oh The Places You'll Go
Fall 2014: Vintage Star

Spring 2014: Kona 2013 Quilt
Spring 2014: Improv Quilt Two

Fall 2013: Pi Quilt
Fall 2013: Pink Broken Herringbone Quilt


If you have stopped by my blog for the first time from the quilt festival thank you!  You can find some of my finishes, newly revamped tutorials page, and mystery quilt-a-long on the tabs at the top of the page.  


If you would like to follow my blog, here are some links for some different following options: BloglovinEmailInstagram.




14 comments:

  1. They are all great. The Riley Blake Triangle quilt - a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your triangle quilt! Especially with that triangle print fabric. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been one of my favorites of yours. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilting detail in the negative space and the composition of the top. Leaving the edges in the hexagon shape keeps the pattern flowing, too. Good luck in the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I remember this quilt Cheryl! Think my favourite part is that binding you did, just so COOL. Your quilting is just fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors and pattern. The quilting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, I'm super impressed with your binding and this is a beautiful quilt for the festival and for your new little niece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love this quilt! and your zig-zag edge with the triangles is just beautiful! This will be a baby quilt they can take to college - wrapped in great memories ! I didn't know about the Bloggers Quilt Festival, I'll have to check it out! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this quilt ever since you first posted about it. I love the soft grays with the pink and turquoise. The dense quilting in the negative space between the rows really allow the hexi's to shine. And the addition of the ghost hexi's created by the wishbone quilting at the edge of the quilt...genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! Very intresting shape of your work and great quilting :)
    Greetings from Poland
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I really like this one. Great colours and great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every time I see this I am in awe of the perfect quilting you added to this piece. Good luck Cheryl!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!