I thought that I would share my process and some of my learning's. I knew that in making the combined design:
1. I needed to make the pincushion as heavy as possible to hold the fabric basket. I usually use about half crushed walnut shells and half stuffing. I changed the filling to almost all crushed walnuts.
2. I wanted the set to be separable so that the pincushion and thread catcher could be used together or separately.
3. I needed to make the fabric basket a different dimension.
I first used pins, fabric, a cathedral window pincushion, and a fabric basket to mock up a design, don't you love the fabric combinations? :) My original thought was to add the connecting fabric in the seam of the pincushion.
As you can see above this was a no go because it tilted the pincushion. From playing around the fabric strip and where I attached everything I was able to design a prototype:
I made the prototype out of some of my favorite Bella fabrics because I get to keep the prototype :) (The colors in the picture on the right are more of the true colors in the fabrics.)
So the main changes I made to the set to make it combined:
1. I made the pincushion much heavier. This weight seemed like it was able to hold up the basket well.
2. I added tabs to the bottom of the pincushion and into the seam on the fabric basket and added a button and button hole to connect the two. I added some interfacing to the button and button hole area of the fabric strip to give it some stiffness and strength.
3. I kept the width of the basket the same but made the basket deeper from 4 inches to 5.5 inches.
I am very happy with how the set turned out. Now it is time to make the "real" set for my customer.
I was wondering everyone's opinion on pincushions and thread catchers. I had never really thought about combining them as I move my pincushion around a lot and like my thread catcher to always sit on the table next to my sewing machine (if I move it and forget to put it back I have the bad habit of throwing the threads on the floor). Do you like yours together or separate? If there is interest in the combined version I might make a few more for my etsy shop for the holiday season.
Linking up with WIP Wednesday!