Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Board & Batten Quilt Along - Blocks Week 1

 


Everyone's half square triangles are looking great!  You can see everyone's progress on social media using #boardandbattenqal and in the MMD Facebook Group.  

You also always find all of the information and links to the QAL at the main Board and Batten Page.

If you have sewn ahead and have the quilt top and/or finished quilt ready, you can email me a picture at MMDmysteryquilts@gmail.com at any time for the quilt parade coming in March.  When you email me, please let me know if you are outside the US as some of the prizes are US only and some are worldwide.



Board and Batten Weekly Instructions

I recorded a short 5 minute video showing the block and going over some tips and tricks for block assembly. You can find the video here (and if you enjoy it I would love if you subscribed to the YouTube channel, thanks!)

For the next two weeks, we are making our blocks.  

To make my blocks I first sewed all of my print squares to the bg squares (rows 2 and 4) and then sewed the half square triangles together (for rows 1 and 3).  

To make sure I had the orientation correct for the HST rows (note that it is different for rows 1 and 3) I laid out a pair of HST in the correct orientation so I could refer to it as I sewed.  I usually just randomly pair the HST up for about 90% of the pairs, grabbing them as I sew, then I take the last 10 or so pairs and pair them up before sewing to make sure I wind up with a good mix of colors.

I do suggest pressing all seams open within the block, I find that it makes the block flatter and the seams less bulky.  If you prefer to press seams to the side, I would alternate the pressing direction for each row.

Here are my blocks, I can't wait to see yours!





Questions?  You can leave them as a comment or email me at MMDmysteryquilts@gmail.com.

If you would like to join the quilt along but still need a copy of of the pattern, you can find Board and Batten:
Meadow Mist Designs Pattern Shop

Etsy Shop
.

 

 




2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to put my blocks up on the design wall and figure out how I want them sewn together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops.............mine (baby size) is all sewn together & I "think" it is OK. I had all the bits on the design wall, but when we put the cooler on one afternoon (38deg celsius), they started falling off, so I decided to get them done sooner than later. Mine are all pink scraps with a lightly patterned pink on white background from my stash. Trying not to buy fabric at my age with a cupboard full & a tub of leftover scraps. Can't wait to see all the other versions. Thanks for hosting this, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!