Friday, February 16, 2018

Sidekick Tote ++ Echino Version

I have been getting my packing list together for QuiltCon next week and was looking to pick out a purse to bring. I wanted a shoulder bag that was big enough to carry my essentials for the day.


I was originally planning on bringing my old Sidekick Tote by Noodlehead, which I made back in 2015 (see below). Upon closer inspection I found that I had loved it to death. The tote was stained and I had actually worn through the fabric in some places.


I decided I needed to make a new bag and since I loved the Sidekick Tote so much, I made a new version.
I had some Echino linen prints that I had been saving hording since I bought them at QuiltCon 2015 in Austin. The main part of the bag is a mostly black linen Echino print with small, bright pink birds on it.

For the pocket, I played around with a few options and came up with a mint colored Echino linen print with bright pink bias trim and a few other, more tame options. Both my husband and others voted for the more tame fabrics, but I thought the bright pink was too fun to pass up.



Anna's instructions are wonderful and got me through the whole process with minimal frustration and use of the seam ripper. I even did the zipper and magnetic snaps done correctly the first time :)



New for making the bag this time was my choice of interfacing. Last time I used a combination of Pellon 808 and Pellon fusible fleece which gave the bag a good structure (which I liked), but it did seem to make the fabric stiff and crinkly in places.

For this time around, I used some of the Soft and Stable from byAnnie and it was awesome! It was flexible, easy to work, and gives the bag such structure while leaving it very soft. It will be my go-to interfacing from now on.


I am loving my new fun and bright purse and am proudly using it at work and around town. I hope to meet as many of you as I can at QuiltCon :)

I am linking up to Link a Finish Friday, Whoop Whoop Friday, Thank Goodness Its Finished Friday, Finish It Up Friday, Fabric Frenzy Friday, Sewjo @ My Go Go Life, and Show Off Saturday @ Sew She Can.




19 comments:

  1. Very fun! You definitely made the right choice with the teal and pink. Hope your plans for Quilt Con are coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that you loved your first version so much you made a second one! I think the colors are bright and fun, and I am excited to see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just so adorable! I am in love with that pink piping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's adorable! I too am figuring out my QuiltCon totes ... and wardrobe too. Your bag is adorable, and I might recognize you from that distinct bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cheryl I love this bag, the shape, and the fabrics you chose. I need to make a Noodlehead pattern; have heard such great things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pink makes it pop. Well done. Have fun at QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both Sidekick Totes are beautiful. I love Noodlehead patterns. Have a fun time at Quiltcon. I would love to attend one some day. Looking forward to hearing about all that happens there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspiring as always . . .Echino is new to me . . . can't wait to jump into something new with this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice bag! Everyone seems to be loving soft and stable, looking for an opportunity to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your comment "I had loved it to death" made me laugh out loud, because that's what happened to one of my bags that I made. I love your old bag, and the new bag looks amazing too. Perfect choice of fabric for the pocket. You will look very stylish :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bright fun and practical, perfect. I used to always use a leather bag but by the time you add the weight of the contents it was always so heavy, yours will be light and comfortable to use, and one thing for sure, no one else will have one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember your original Sidekick from years past! I love the new one and agree that the not-so-typical-Cheryl pocket was the way to go. I have to ask, though, what will you do with your worn one? I have yet to relegate a handmade bag to the textile recycle bin, but if it's too worn to use, it's too worn to use, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, ooh, ooh! Am loving it! It’s a good thing you still had time to make a new one! Glad to hear you really love Soft and Stable. I have a package of it but haven’t broken into it, yet. Fear of the unknown, I guess! Great job on your beautiful bag!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful bag! Clearly it's a style that works for you since you're on your second one. Love the bright pops of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's great! I love Echino on bags which reminded me to finish my bag :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!