Friday, October 13, 2017

Sparkling Stars in Quilts from 100 Blocks

Photo by Quiltmaker

I am super excited to have quilt called Sparkling Stars in the Quilts from 100 Blocks Fall 2017 magazine :)


Back in the spring I had a block called Sizzle Star in the 100 Blocks Magazine Volume 15.  Sizzle Star was a paper pieced block design with some unusual angles and shapes that finished at 12" x 12".  Here is the original block from the 100 Blocks Vol 15 magazine.  



I was so excited when Quiltmaker contacted me and asked I wanted to make a quilt using Sizzle Star  for their special issue Quilts from 100 Blocks!   I was busy at the time making the quilts for my upcoming book, so I designed the quilt, Eileen Fowler pieced the quilt top, and Kim Waite quilted the quilt.

For this design, I increased the block size to 15" square (finished) and set the blocks on point as I think that the stars really pop rotated 45 degrees.  I like how this creates a nice 57" x 72" lap sized quilt using only 7 blocks (as each block is pretty complex and time-consuming to piece).


Photo by Quiltmaker

Sparkling Stars is one of 16 beautiful quilts in the Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Fall 2017 magazine.  Magazine copies are now available in both print and digital formats. The Sparking Stars quilt pattern is also available as a stand alone digital quilt pattern.

Thank you so much Quiltmaker for allowing me to be part of your wonderful publication!!  I am linking up to Finish up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.




20 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your colors are perfect for Christmas but I can see it in others. Funny that Earlene Fowler pieced this quilt I was so addicted to her books I even wrote to her once. Continued success. (robinsbusiness@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Cheryl! Love how you set the blocks on point for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done--it is a beautiful quilt! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is gorgeous! Congrats on the publish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a beautiful block that could work with so many color schemes. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Upsizing and putting the stars on point worked so well, Cheryl. The quilt is stunning. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilts are always so beautiful. This looks a lot like Ruby Roads that you posted on your IG page a while back. But this one is even more spectacular! I love so much white back ground. Congrats on making the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt!!! It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colours you chose show off the star in perfect detail. Congrats to be in the magazine. another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful quilt. I like the larger size block better. Congratulations on having it chosen to be included in their magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt. I love the paper piecing aspect of the stars. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is gorgeous!! Congratulations Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I specially like the way you set the stars in your quilt. It looks wonderful!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the original star block and the sparkling stars quilt is amazing, of course. Rotating the blocks was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay Cheryl! It is so rewarding to be asked to contribute, isn't it? I had to go back and look at the block and the quilt and compare to 'get' that you rotated it! I like it both ways, but I also like that it can be a quilt displayed at any time throughout the year as it doesn't yell 'Christmas!!'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt! Great way to make the best use of a complicated block.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite stunning! The quilting is lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simple elegant and stunning, Cheryl! I adore the block just in a single and I particularly like the blue and red combo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful design as always, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!