Friday, September 22, 2017

Curated Cabins - a finished mini quilt

Curated Quilts is a new a printed quarterly journal that is launching their first issue soon and in their news section of the website, I saw a call for submissions for their next issue.

The magazine was looking for mini Log Cabin quilts 10"x10" up to 16"x16" using their color palette of 5 colors. I have been working on some quilts and patterns for magazines (to support the Modern Plus Sign Quilts book), so I thought that a mini might be a fun little side project.


Here is how my mini came to be...  After finding solids in my stash that were pretty close to the colors in their color palette, I cut a bunch of ¾" - 1 ¼" wide strips from each color and started piecing them together into random log cabin blocks.


Next came the fun part, trying to fit them all together into a cohesive and pleasing arrangement. Due to the size restriction, I decided my blocks were a little on the large size and so when I arranged them, I folded them to get an idea of how to trim them down and fit them together.

I used Kona Windsor as the negative space because I love the color (it is this wonderful dark blue with gray in it which is difficult to capture in a picture) and I had a bunch of it.

For quilting, I used a diamond cross-hatch design with varying spaced lines. The quilting went super quickly due to the small size of the quilt.

I used Aurifil 1246, a medium gray, in 50 wt to quilt with. I wanted the quilting to show up both on the lighter blocks and in the darker blue background to pull the blocks and negative space together.


I bound the quilt with the same print I used on the back of the mini, it is almost the same shade as the orange in the quilt top, just a little less bright with a very subtle print. The mini finished at about 12 ½" x 15 ½" and I named it Curated Cabins :)

I will be submitting my quilt into the Log Cabin Mini Quilt Call for Entries on Curated Quilts in hopes it makes it into the second issue of Curated Quilts. You should check out all of the other mini's that have already been entered, each is such a great take on the log cabin design and the specified color palette.


Thanks for stopping by!

I am linking up with Finish it up Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts.







14 comments:

  1. I like the contrast of the bright with the dark blue. I like that you varied the space between the quilting lines, it adds some fun texture. Good luck on getting your pattern chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love this quilt! I like the varied spacing between the quilting lines too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely mini quilt. Usage of the blue as the background provides a nice design element.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this mini quilt and hope it is accepted by Curated Quilts. Everything is wonderful, especially the quilting, just perfect to showcase your design. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dark blue was the perfect choice to highlight the blocks. The varied Quilting lines tie the two together also. I checked out the entries and yours,definitely is a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the angled crosshatch quilting opposes the straight lines of the log cabins! Great mini and good luck with your submission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Especially how the navy reads as negative space within some of the blocks. Hard to believe it's so small.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turned out fabulous! I LOVE the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a great mini Cheryl: I hope it makes it in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! The blue background is really perfect for the palette you used for the log cabins. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun mini! I specially like the contrast of the light colours against the blue background. Good luck!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very modern log cabin interpretation. Love how the blocks pop. Good luck with admission.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colours of the cabins! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!