Wednesday, October 7, 2015

WIP Wednesday - October 7th

While I am sidelined with a broken wrist, I thought that I would show you the baby quilt that I was working on before I had my little slip and fall at the rollerskating rink. 



I was making this baby quilt as a present for some of my sisters friends who are expecting a baby at the beginning of January. The couple had struggled for many years with infertility and so my sister wanted to gift them a bright and bold quilt. They are not finding out the sex of the baby so the quilt had to also be gender neutral. 

I had picked up this jellyroll of bold solid colors from the coats and Clark sale a couple of months ago and I thought it would be perfect for the baby quilt. 



Working with my sister, we quickly decided on a jellyroll quilt from the Moda Bake Shop called Wishes String Quilt by Karen Vail (of Cascade Quilts). The pattern is really cool because you sew the jelly roll strips into a tube and then using a special ironing and cutting trick you wind up with blocks with the white strip centered along the diagonal. 



I had laid out all of the blocks into the quilt top and was selling them together when I had my little accident. Once I get back on the sewing machine, my plan is to finish the quilt top and possibly add a white border. It is a good thing my sister does not need this until early next year :)  Here is a picture of my almost 15 year old kitty, Abby, modeling the blocks.



My other work in progress is mending my broken wrist.  I am happy to report that I went to the orthopedic doctor on Monday and he determined that I had such a small break that I only needed a removable brace now.  I can move my fingers and my elbow and take a shower without a bag duct tapped my arm!  I am so thankful for that, it makes life so much easier.  Still no sewing for me for at least another 3 more weeks.


I am very happy to link up with Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh QuiltsNeedle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, and WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.





33 comments:

  1. So sorry you broke your wrist, Cheryl. The news of having to take a break from sewing must have hurt almost as much as the break in your wrist. Hope you heal quickly and enjoy taking some time away from the sewing machine to spend it relaxing with Abby and the rest of your family. The baby quilt is going to be beautiful. I like the white borders idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pattern. I like how the white ends up in the middle. Glad to hear things are a bit better for your wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness is the shower thing! Hurrah! On the down swing now, you'll be back sewing in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your baby quilt! I am going to check this out on MBS. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has to be so frustrating to have to abandon a project right in the middle of it... I know I would not be very amused. This looks like such a fun project and the technique sounds really interesting.

    Sending you get well soon wishes from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bold bright colors you chose for the baby quilt. Glad to hear you didn't have to have surgery or a cast. I hope your superhero sewing powers allow your arm to mend quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know you are mending, you'll be back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so great that you are doing well and healing quick. I love the string quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby looks 15 months at most! I am so happy with the good wrist news :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The string quilt looks great; I really like bold, saturated colors and I think the baby will, too. I am so excited your wrist is healing fast and that you have a much less cumbersome removable brace now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last 3 weeks will fly by!! What a beautiful, bright and gorgeous baby quilt! I'm very interested in this pattern now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope it heals soon.
    I love, love, love your colors. What a happy baby quilt.
    My sun and his wife do not want to know the gender of the unborn baby either. So the whole family will have to wait!!!! And we all want it to know .......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to hear you are healing up. You are such a good patient. I would be figuring out how to sew one handed!

    I am intrigued by this technique as well. I will have to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The couple will be very happy to receive such a lovely gift. I am very glad to hear the good news about your wrist. Abbey looks beautiful!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful baby quilt! I hope you are feeling better and back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a beautiful baby quilt! I hope you are feeling better and back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear that you are getting better Cheryl. I wish you a quick recovery! I like the bold colors you have chosen for this quilt, they look great in this quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your baby quilt is beautiful, and I'm glad you're on the mend. It's nice you can skip the duct tape and bag in your showers now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah! Glad you have a removable brace. I love the brightness of that baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made a string block quilt for a bee and used all scrappy fabrics and the solid white in the center of each block, but I really like this with solids. It's going to look great! Glad to hear you have a bit more mobility. Hoping the 3 weeks fly by for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt looks fun . The little one will enjoy playing where is the ...colour when he she is older . Don't forget to rest up

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Abby looks like a kitten. What an adorable sweet face.
    I love the quilt.
    This is a good time to do those things you never have time for. I know..... been there, done this.
    Meantime, don't push the healing process, it is tempting.
    Best wishes for speedy healing

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know you are frustrated by that hurt arm. It would drive me nuts. But that baby quilt is FANTASTIC. I love baby quilts that aren't so baby-like. Great job and LUCKY kid.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bummer on the broken wrist but the quilt is spectacular. Thanks for sharing the link to Moda Bakeshop. Micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the bold colors. Your kitty should be on the runway with that pose. She has skill.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the bold colors. Your kitty should be on the runway with that pose. She has skill.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the bold colors. Your kitty should be on the runway with that pose. She has skill.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry about your mishap but it sounds like mending will be relatively quick. Love the colors in the baby quilt! It will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The baby quilt is stunning. I hope your wrist heals quickly xxx Lucy x Hopping over from Freshly Pieced! www.crazyforpurple.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such good news indeed Cheryl! I hope the 3 weeks fly by for you. That baby quilt is just fabulous! I will check out her pattern; I just love innovative ideas like this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm sorry about your broken wrist, I hope it heals super fast. Be sure to take advantage of your injured status whenever you can. It could go a long way in getting out of things you'd rather not do. (I had a similar little accident in middle school and had to endure lots of embarrassing comments from adults about falling for a boy. But it did get me out of doing dishes and other annoying chores.) The baby quilt is stunning with the brights and white and the neat cutting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very bright and fun baby quilt. Gorgeously rich colors. Showering with braces is no fun. We went through that last year when DT had ACL surgery. I used a lot of plastic wrap that first couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are doing so well with not being able to sew! Love that strings quilt, it's going to be such a great quilt for that little baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!