Friday, May 18, 2018

Isosceles Addition ++ Love Patchwork & Quilting

Today, I get to show you the last of the plus sign designs that I had made for magazines to celebrate the release of my book, Modern Plus Sigh Quilts.

This quilt is called Isosceles Addition and it appears in the latest issue (#60) of Love Patchwork & Quilting.


I really like the strong geometric shapes and the bright colors of this design.  I was so happy to see that a little piece of the quilt made it to the cover :)

Photo by Love Patchwork & Quilting

My thanks to Robert Kaufman for the Kona Cotton Solids, Aurifil for the piecing and quilting thread, and the Warm Company for the Warm & White batting. 

In my quilt, I used Kona colors honeysuckle, chartreuse, and white.  The bright pink and green pop against the white.

It took me a very long time to figure out the quilting design for Isosceles Addition, I wanted something more than an allover design, but I could not think of how to custom quilting it.  Many thanks to Paige for helping me come up with the design.

Using Aurifil soft white (color 2021) in 50 wt, I quilted a series of randomly spaced straight lines between the plus signs, then filled in the areas of the plus signs with a bear claw quilting design.  I really like the contrast of the straight lines and the curved lines.


Here is a beautifully styled shot from Love, Patchwork & Quilting.

Photo by Love Patchwork & Quilting

I love the Modern Quilts Unlimited magazine, the magazine is so bright and happy. Check out Love Patchwork & Quilting Issue 60!

If you love plus sign quilts as much as I do, be sure to check out the Modern Plus Sampler Quilt Along that I will be hosting with my book co-author Paige Alexander.  The reveal of the design will be on June 7th and the quilt along will kick off on July 5th.  You can find out more information here.





16 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! I love the quilting and the colors. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun design! Simple and different - I love it! Seems your engineering mind came into play on this on! (Wishing I had that ability....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors and quilting! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt so much! It is so different and the colors are beautiful! I would make it just like yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to you to come up with yet another way to interpret the plus sign design! This is neat! I like the way you made the plus in two parts. It's so effective. And your quilting is great. A combo of lines and curves is usually quite successful. Overall, this is simply well done. Congratulations on it being published!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great on the cover, Cheryl, and I love this color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! The simplicity of the pattern and the vibrant, contrasting solids bring it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This plus quilt is stunning!!! Before your book came out, I never realized how many variations of plus's were possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colours, design and the quilting, this is a PLUS and MORE finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I'm looking forward to my issue arriving now. And I'm excited for the QAL! Great quilting ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors, the piecing all amazing! I love your designs and your way of constructing quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is absolutely stunning Cheryl! I love the contrast of the colours, the quilting, everything! And I cannot wait for the QAL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...this is amazing. A great variation of the plus quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The two colour sets make it very dynamic. The quilting compliments the design so well too. A lovely finish, Cheryl!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!