Monday, February 9, 2015

Layers of Charm with the Fat Quarter Shop

When I got an e-mail late last year asking if I wanted to take part in the launch of a new Fat Quarter Shop pattern I did not hesitate in sending back a big "yes, please"!  In addition to one of the largest collections of fabric for sale (along with super quick shipping), the Fat Quarter Shop produces free, beginner friendly patterns.

The Fat Quarter Shop's newest pattern is called Layers of Charm and the you can download the free PDF pattern here and check out the video tutorial here.  The pattern uses one layer cake and one charm pack to make a nice 57.5 x 57.5" lap sized quilt (the pattern also includes instructions for sizes ranging from baby, to table runner, all the way to king).

I chose to make my version using a layer cake of the Mustang collection by Melody Miller for Cotton & Steel and a white charm pack. 



Mustang has so many different colors and prints in the layer cake, which gives the quilt a fun, scrappy look.


I quilted pebbles in the white diamonds using a white Aurifil thread and a meandering pattern in the print fabrics using a light gray Aurifil thread.  For the binding, I used a print from the PB&J collection by Sweetwater for Moda, which matches surprising well.  


As a little tip, you can get a bonus half square triangle (HST) from each block if you make an extra stitch line a 1/2" away from the first stitch line before trimming 1/4" from the first line.  I am going to use my 36 extra HST in a pillow top.



This was a fun and easy quilt to make.  I really liked the large fabric piece sizes within the blocks which highlighted some of the larger scale Mustang prints.  Be sure to download the free Layers of Charm pattern here and then watch the You Tube Video Tutorial here.  




I am linking up my bonus HST tip with the new linky party Tips and Tutorials Tuesday over at the Late Night Quilter's blog.





29 comments:

  1. Just posted my quilt of this pattern too :) I think it's a great pattern for large scale prints. The C+S works well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your use of all white makes huge snowballs! Very cool effect! I have not been a fan of this line (I'm ducking as various sewing related notions are thrown at me) but this quilt is awesome! And that binding fabric is perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like those dark blues and purples in this range and love the placement of the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your use of the white charms - their perfect with all the other colorful fabrics. And get out of town---- I always use my triangles to make little HSTs but I've never thought to add the extra seam before I cut!!!! Holy cow, my mind is blown with this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great in Cotton and Steel. What a fun fast quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilt! The white squares are perfect....what s great way to show the larger prints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! What a great pattern to highliight all the beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great way to show of fun fabrics like the C+S bundle you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am completely in love with your Mustang version!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so happy when I figured out that HST trick - now I have two little throw pillows to gift along with mine : ) Love your quilt - I haven't really been inspired by this line, but seeing it in your quilt really highlights all the neat prints!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the C&S fabrics and I really like the pebbling you did in the white squares. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that we can get a big quilt fast with this pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ack! This has turned out SO well Cheryl! I LOVE the white diamonds and I love that you did pebbles in them as well! You can't beat the Cotton + Steel fabric lines any which way you go. haha. I didn't think about making a pillow top out of the extra triangles... I knew I wanted to do something but wasn't sure yet... that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cheery quilt! It's a great project to brighten up the winter. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the fabric you chose! It's also like you could see into my mind, I also made pillows from the extra HSTs :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your version with the white! I downloaded the pattern today - all I need now is a layer cake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great fabrics and quilting. Easy pattern with pretty results. Thanks for the tip on the HSTs too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent fabric choices! I love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your version with Mustang is so pretty! The large size of the pieces shows off the fun prints so nicely! I really like the pebbling in the white diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one is gorgeous! I love how the white charm squares help the prints stand out. This really is a great pattern for showcasing fabulous prints!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is so very pretty and inspirational! I will be making one .. or two ... or many!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful quilt! Love it!! Like seeing a great way to use larger prints too! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like your fabric choices on this version. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know there is a Layers of Charm quilt (or two) in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this quilt, Cheryl! Great fabric choices and you've laid them out so beautifully! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty! I love it. And I love using up the scraps (the bonus Half Square Triangle) for other things.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Designed in-house by Adidas, the retail and gallery ray ban sunglasses australia space will feature raw steel panels, white glossed shelving, vintage school lockers and wooden benches. Creative director of ray ban australia outlet Adidas’ Sport Style division, Dirk Schoenberger, said: “Fashion-forward sportswear is one of the cornerstones of what Adidas offers and this space will enable consumers to buy covetable, ray bans australia online innovative product at a true destination for luxury shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!