I made this quilt to test out an orange peel quilting pattern I was considering using on another quilt. I had a made quilt top which had a postage stamp section made in solids and I wanted to test out the orange peel quilting design to see how it would look (and how well I could execute the design).
I made the quilt entirely with 2 ½" square pieces from different Bonnie and Camille (for Moda) collections and I don't think I made even a little dent in my B&C scrap basket :) I tried to piece the squares as randomly as possible.
I love how all of Bonnie & Camille's prints look so good together.
I typically press all seams open and pin at every intersection. For speed on this quilt, I pressed all of the seams to the side to nest the seams and did not pin (and my points were surprising pretty decent).
For the orange peel quilting design, I simply used my free motion foot and working from the top of the quilt to the bottom, making a curve in the fabric square and trying to pass through the seam intersection.
My orange peels were far from perfect but I think that it works for these bright and busy prints.
I decided that an orange peel was not the way to go for my other quilt. The squares are all solid and the thread is going to blend with some of the squares and have some contrast with other squares. I decided that the orange peel design was going to look too busy and that all of my oops and bobbles while quilting would show up too much for my liking.
This quilt is going to be donated through the Greenville Modern Quilt Guild's charity program.
Size: 32" x 40"
Pattern: Postage stamp made from 2" (finished) squares
Fabrics: Quilt top - assorted Bonnie and Camille fabrics
Quilting: Orange peel design using cream Aurifil thread in 50wt
Thanks for stopping by!I am linking up to Link a Finish Friday, Whoop Whoop Friday, Thank Goodness Its Finished Friday, Finish It Up Friday, Fabric Frenzy Friday, Sewjo @ My Go Go Life, and Show Off Saturday @ Sew She Can.