Friday, February 17, 2017

Bonnie and Camille Postage Stamp Quilt

A bright and happy finish for charity today :)

I made this quilt to test out an orange peel quilting pattern I was considering using on another quilt.  I had a made quilt top which had a postage stamp section made in solids and I wanted to test out the orange peel quilting design to see how it would look (and how well I could execute the design).


I made the quilt entirely with 2 ½" square pieces from different Bonnie and Camille (for Moda) collections and I don't think I made even a little dent in my B&C scrap basket :)  I tried to piece the squares as randomly as possible.

I love how all of Bonnie & Camille's prints look so good together.


I typically press all seams open and pin at every intersection.  For speed on this quilt, I pressed all of the seams to the side to nest the seams and did not pin (and my points were surprising pretty decent).

I did have one little oops where two dark red squares were right next to each other.  This was bugging me so I appliqued on a little heart onto one of them 💛 (I stitched the heart down while quilting.)


For the orange peel quilting design, I simply used my free motion foot and working from the top of the quilt to the bottom, making a curve in the fabric square and trying to pass through the seam intersection.

My orange peels were far from perfect but I think that it works for these bright and busy prints.  


I decided that an orange peel was not the way to go for my other quilt.  The squares are all solid and the thread is going to blend with some of the squares and have some contrast with other squares.  I decided that the orange peel design was going to look too busy and that all of my oops and bobbles while quilting would show up too much for my liking.

This quilt is going to be donated through the Greenville Modern Quilt Guild's charity program.

Quilt details:

Size: 32" x 40"
Pattern: Postage stamp made from 2" (finished) squares
Fabrics: Quilt top - assorted Bonnie and Camille fabrics
Quilting: Orange peel design using cream Aurifil thread in 50wt

Thanks for stopping by!



I am linking up to Link a Finish FridayWhoop Whoop FridayThank Goodness Its Finished FridayFinish It Up FridayFabric Frenzy FridaySewjo @ My Go Go Life, and Show Off Saturday @ Sew She Can.





20 comments:

  1. The orange peel quilting looks great here; were you able to determine how you want to quilt the other quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a postage stamp quilt. This looks great. What if you did larger orange peels. Maybe every two blocks instead of everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love basic patchwork Cheryl and this one is just lovely. I think that little applique was the perfect way to fix the spot that was bothering you. Very clever to mix it up a bit with those two dark red squares. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just amazed you didn't have more oops moments with all those 2.5 inch blocks and different fabrics, you had a great solution though. Your FMQ looks great to me, but only you know the effect you are after. Great binding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to use the little heart. I know I would not be happy with the two reds beside each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome quilt! I love it and even forwarded it to my daughter - a B&C fan! Love that quilting! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great. The very clever 'random' colour across the quilt works so well, no navy or yellow stuck together. And I agree a great solution to the one square that bothered you. The quilting looks fab too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilting looks great! And now I'm really curious about what you decide to do with the other quilt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt looks superb! I could probably make the exact quilt with all of my Bonnie and Camile scraps!
    Happy Week-end

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the scrappy binding. as for the little heart, what an excellent idea. I'll have to remember that one. I'd be ripping and replacing if it wrer me and what a job that would be.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl, it's lovely and a quilt that will be loved by whomever receives it. Your quilting design looks wonderful with the postage B&C, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful quilt and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good postage stamp quilt. If they weren't so much danged piecing, I'd consider making more of them! I also really like the orange peel quilting. I think I'd want to use it on a slightly larger block to get more of the impact. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great little quilt to check out this technique on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks great! I've got a large B&C scrap collection myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very pretty postage stamp quilt! Congrats on a fun finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh this quilt is so wonderful with all the different fabrics. It made me laugh that you made it just to test your quilting design - but that was obviously a good call as you decided not to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!