Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Square in a Square Paper Piecing Templates

I will totally admit that traditionally piecing small-sized Square in a Square blocks are not my favorite, sewing those bias triangle edges onto the squares can be sometimes very frustrating.

I think that the Square in a Square block (especially the smaller ones) are perfect for paper piecing.   Paper piecing means not having to worry about the bias side of the triangle moving while I sew or keeping a perfect 1/4" seam allowance.  Paper piecing is great for precision.




For a mini quilt I am making, I needed a bunch of 2" (finished) square in a square blocks.  I created the block template in Corel Draw and thought that the template might be helpful to other quilters.  So I drew out ten (10) templates for 2" up to 6 ½" square in a square blocks in ½" increments and put the them up (for free) by signing up for my Meadow Mist Designs Newsletter.  

Please note: the file does not contain paper piecing or fabric cutting instructions, the file is only the templates for paper piecing.


When printing these templates, print at either “no scaling” or “100% scaling”.  Each page contains a test 1” square to ensure the correct sizing of the blocks.

I hope you find the templates useful :)





Happy Sewing!!





12 comments:

  1. Thanks for having taken the trouble Cheryl =) Saved it to my Craftsy templates just beacuse I know I will need them in the future =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome, Cheryl, thank you for sharing the templates. And those are very lovely blocks you made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing them with us! I have to say, I'm becoming more partial to paper piecing smaller blocks. I can't even believe I just typed that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this, I will definitely use them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your templates. I agree, paper piecing is the way to go for small square-in-a-square blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - paper piecing is a great way to go for accurate square in a square units. Thanks for sharing the templates, Cheryl. It's often hard to find them in the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for providing such a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Square in a Square do go together easier when they are paper pieced. I've done them both ways. Thanks for the templates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm planning to create my first square in a square quilt and also learning to paper piece. Your download is just perfect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello - Craftsy deleted your templates for square in a square - is there any way I could get them, Please. I can send you my email or if you've moved them to another location, let me know and I'll go there to download them. Thanks a bunch! Love love love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your site, signed up for the newsletter, how do i get the free paper piece templates for the sq in a sq? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!