Friday, May 25, 2018

Celestial ++ Baby Version

As part of the marketing for my book, Modern Plus Sign Quilts, Stash has a few of the book quilts (including Celestial) to bring to Quilt Market, QuiltCon, and other shows.

Paige and I knew that we were going to be doing some trunk shows for the book so I decided to remake another version of Celestial (this is the quilt in the lower right hand part of the front cover.   I decided to re-make the quilt in a baby size, which is much easier to travel with.


Celestial is a super fun and quick quilt to piece, each block is 24" square finished so only 4 blocks are needed to make a 48" x 48" baby sized version (9 blocks make a large lap and 16 blocks make a queen).

For this new version of Celestial, I started with a background of Kona Cotton in cornflower, one of my favorite blues.  For the plus signs, I used a variety of prints, mostly Cotton & Steel, in blacks and whites.


As this was a small and manageable baby sized quilt, I decided to have some fun with the quilting and took some pictures along the way to show how I quilted Celestial.

I knew that wanted to quilt feathers on the quilt, where the feathers wound around the different plus signs.  To highlight the feathers, I planned on doing a dense quilting pattern so my goal was to fill as much area as I could with the feathers (to minimize the area I had to densely quilt).  Matching the Aurifil thread (50 wt) to the fabric hides many imperfections with the quilting.

Here was one of the feathers...


I then echoed the feather to help it stand out more.


Then I filled in the remaining area with pebbles.


I then quilted each plus sign using a square meander.


I hope that you enjoyed seeing the quilting progression of Celestial!

Quilt Stats:
Pattern: Celestial (made into a baby size) from Modern Plus Sign Quilts
Size: 48" x 48"
Fabrics:  Kona Cotton in cornflower and various black and white prints.
Quilting: Feathers and pebbles
Batting: Warm & White
Thread: Light blue, soft white, and black 50 wt Aurifil cotton thread





20 comments:

  1. The quilting gives it such incredible detail and takes it beyond most plus quilts. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of baby quilts I need to make right now. You have two in your book that I am contemplating now. Your quilting on this is exquisite, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this version. Your quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting!! I love that this is a four block quilt! Its such a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, thanks for sharing the progression on how you quilted Celestial. I really like how the echo and then dense pebbles helps the feathers to pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All. Those. Pebbles! I love how they play against the feathers and make them stand out. The quilting is great Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those color combos! Black and anything are my favorites :) Fabulous quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DID enjoy seeing the quilting progression. That's always fun for me. And I'm a sucker for feathers so added bonus. This quilt turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pebbles and feathers are lovely combined together, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilting you added to this quilt. The echoing around the feathers make them pop as do the pebbles which I really love. Great look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is on my To Make list and I just love your quilting on it! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilting is gorgeous! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this little quilt and the quilting - so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely design for a little one, and the quilting is a beauty finish.Those feathers and the echo, as they swirl across the quilt, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I certainly am enamored with this precious baby quilt. I am especially in love with your fabric choices. If I haven’t said it before, this book definitely goes to the top of my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a beautiful finish and a wise idea to have smaller quilts for a trunk show. I'm looking forward to the quilt along that starts later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So wonderful! I love the meandering feathers around the plus signs.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful!! I love the look of feathers wrapping around a quilt, and yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!