Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Rin Along ++ Alternative Appliqué Methods


Looking for information on other applique methods besides needle turned applique?  Cindy at Hyacinth Quilt Designs is posting today about for alternative applique methods. 

I have not made much progress on my new block, but did get a chance to try out the new 80 wt Aurifil thread.  I had asked Aurifil about the 80 wt thread for the needle turned applique and they very kindly send me some spools to try out (they are also offering a Carolyn Friedlander set of 80 wt spools as a prize for the quilt along!).  For my first block, I used the 50 wt Aurifil thread and it worked well so I was excited to try out the 80 wt.

The 80 wt thread did not disappoint, I don't have the needle turned applique best stitching technique, but because the thread is so fine, the stitches practically disappeared.  I am officially a fan :)



Just as a reminder - the deadline for submitting for the Rin Along parade is coming up in just a few days:  
  • You will need to e-mail either Cindy or myself (MeadowMistDesigns at gmail dot com) a picture of your "finish" by July 2nd.
  • You only need to have one block made (just appliqued, the block does not need to be quilted).  




4 comments:

  1. I anxious to try the Auriful 80 wt. as well. Looks like it sinks beautifully into the fabric, practically invisible! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those stitches are non existent!! I just got a few spools of 80wt but they don't match my colors I've chosen. I suppose that means it's time to design my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the 80 wt on my Rin blocks too. I find most of my stitches just disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be interested in seeing what people have made.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!